• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me pick a CPU cooler

thedocta45

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 10, 2007
Messages
1,325
I am planing on getting a decent overclock out of my e6600 and I need a new CPU cooler.
Going to be using a ASUS P5Q Pro for the mobo, and the case is a Cosmos 1000, with all stock fans replaced with Yates Loons fans.

So two questions follow.

1. From what I understand both the:
Kingwin RVT-12025
and
XIGMATEK HDT-RS1283

are the same cooler, correct?

2. I was looking on the egg and I found this however:
XIGMATEK HDT-S1284EE
From what I understand (which is admittedly not much), The additional heat pipes make this S-1284EE a better cooler.
The question being is it worth the premium? Or at this price point would I be better off looking at another cooler?

Also if anyone thinks I should consider another cooler please recommend one.
Still considering a TRUE 120 but I am not sure I will see much advantage with a e6600.
 
Kinda depends how decent of an overclock you're looking for. Cannot beat the True's performance sure can beat its price.
 
Yeah I looked on google, but now what I am trying to figure out is what is up with the second revision of the S1284.
 
A newer revision will doubtfully have any wow factor in it. Unless someone comes up with something entirely new and revolutionary in the way current air cooling did, those temps on the charts are pretty much the lowest you'll be seeing.
 
So I guess the best buy would be either the Kingwin or the Xigmatek, and the premium offered by the new revision would be negligible.
 
Sunbeam CCF is a great value for $25 after rebate. To get the most out of the Xig, you still need to buy the bracket which will put the total to over $40.

To say that Xig S1283 "outperforms" the CCF is an overstatement as much as calling the cooler mediocre is an understatement. One of the best coolers as far as price to performance is concerned (after rebate).

Here are some reviews/comparisons on the CCF. First two reviews were tested with the Q6600 and the third with the e8400.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/798/5/

http://icrontic.com/articles/hdt_shootout/6

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...k=view&id=203&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=16

There are plenty of other reviews that you can find that show similar results.
 
OCZ Vendetta 2 is also about the same thing.

There was a guy selling a couple of the things mentioned here (TRUE, Vendetta 2, Xig) for ~$5-10 less than retail, shipped, in FS/FT a couple days ago. I'd look over there.
 
Ugh, just when I thought I had everything figured out. Thanks for the info everyone, I'm leaning toward the Zigmatek if I can get a used one.
 
personally if it was me and i was looking at the Zigmatek either one of those id actually go with the noctua NP12.. runs much quieter and much cooler.. but thats just my opinion.. been using a thermaltake big typhoon VX heatsink with a noctua 120mm vortex fan on it for the last 5 months.. made a huge difference between that one and the stock fan that was running at 2k rpms.. while the noctua runs at 1300rpms.. just an idea..
 
personally if it was me and i was looking at the Zigmatek either one of those id actually go with the noctua NP12.. runs much quieter and much cooler.. but thats just my opinion.. been using a thermaltake big typhoon VX heatsink with a noctua 120mm vortex fan on it for the last 5 months.. made a huge difference between that one and the stock fan that was running at 2k rpms.. while the noctua runs at 1300rpms.. just an idea..

The NP12 is nice, but no, it's not even close to "much cooler" than the Xig. It has slightly more widly spaced fins, which allow it to work better with quieter, lower flow fans, but this actually reduces cooling capacity over all.
 
I just built a system with the Xig 1284EE. E8500 E0 runs 45c under load (Orthos) 422x9.5=4009Mhz with Arctic Silver 5. That's autovolting by the mainboard and cpu-z shows 1.296v Temps according to EasyTune6 on my Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P. I also bought Xig cross bow bolt thru kit. I've always used Thermalright coolers but didn't see the extra money for them this time especially with some reports of base quality.

There's alot more quality coolers to choose from these days it seems.
 
I just built a system with the Xig 1284EE. E8500 E0 runs 45c under load (Orthos) 422x9.5=4009Mhz with Arctic Silver 5. That's autovolting by the mainboard and cpu-z shows 1.296v Temps according to EasyTune6 on my Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P. I also bought Xig cross bow bolt thru kit. I've always used Thermalright coolers but didn't see the extra money for them this time especially with some reports of base quality.

There's alot more quality coolers to choose from these days it seems.

I just installed my S-1284EE (with the crossbow, bolt thru kit) in my itty bitty Lian Li PC-A05B. Those cases are NOTORIOUSLY known for not having really good air flow. I have used a TRUE and it was a really good cooler, but mine needed a lot of lapping. With my Xigmatek, I ran it at idle speed yesterday morning and I was impressed by how much it dropped my temps. But, "true enough" (LOL), that's not where my Xigmatek shines. I have a Q6600 overclocked to 3.6ghz for everyday use and after running Prime 95, I was WAY impressed with my temps under full load. My TRUE, @ 3.6ghz on my Q6600, stayed around 64c - 64c - 61c - 61c. That's using MX-2 paste. Now, I am around 59c - 59c - 56c - 56c.. So, IMO, they are BOTH very capable air coolers, but for my Quad, I definately choose the S-1284EE over my TRUE. Not sure if its also worth mentioning, but my Xigmatek fan on my cooler is QUIET! ..LOL. You can't go wrong either way.


DSCN1049.jpg


36ghztemps.jpg
 
Back
Top