Help me overclock my E8400

djkest

Limp Gawd
Just got an E8400 (wolfdale core).
First off, coretemp is NOT reading the correct temp. Next, Prime95 is either throwing errors, or crashing after about 20 sec of use. Folding @ Home ran w/o crashing. 3dMark06 ran well for 2 passes, and crashed on a third. Here are the settings:

CPU Clock Ratio: 9x
CPU Host Frequency: 400
PCI Express Frequency: 100
CIA2: Disabled
Performance Enhance: Standard
System Memory Multiplier: 2.00
DRAM Timing Selectable: Auto

DDR2 Voltage control: +0.1V (memory likes 1.9V)
PCI-E OverVoltage Control: Normal
FSB OverVoltage Control: Normal
CPU Voltage Control: 1.2375
Normal CPU Vcore: 1.2250

What do you think I should change? Obviously it's not totally stable.

Alright, I bumped the Vcore up to the sky-high value of 1.25V... amazingly... it's running Prime95 now, 100% on both cores.

One thing I noticed was, the RAM was getting pretty warm... not hot or anything. I don't remember my AMD heating up the RAM like that... should I be concerned?

Also, at what point do I need to be concerned about too much voltage?

You stated in your first post that the VID of your Chip is 1.2250 thereby you have ALOT of room to work with!!!...

I wouldn't be concerned, though if you are, just shove a fan on it..

Sweetness. Running 423x9 = 3.80GHz... just bumped the memory up to 2.0V and bumped the Vcore (in bios) to 1.325V.... I kept bumping the voltage by little amounts and it barely didn't make it last time.

Oh, did I mention that I'm not using a fan on my Scythe Ninja? Got a case fan close by though. Temps at peak right now hitting 42C.

intelsetupqp4.jpg

RAM Voltage should be set to at least its manufacturers reccomended value.

Vcore should only be upped by one notch every time a clock is unstable, upping the FSB voltage by one wouldn't hurt too..

You only need to keep your RAM stable - no need to set it high unless it's faulting.

A little ducting would lower your temps further.

I ran at 3.80GHz for 3 hours, and then it crashed. So maybe I just need a touch more voltage. Kind of annoying. Settings became:

RAM +0.2V
NB +0.1V
Vcore 1.325V

And thats still not enough. I'm thinking another bump or 2 on the Vcore will do it though. Temps never even reached 50C... I backed it down to 3.6Ghz for now.. and maybe I'll keep it there. Thats a lot more voltage for only about 5% more performance.

Back