• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Help me out

blah111

n00b
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
19
Hi all,

I need your help in choosing a monitor. I recently bought a Samsung 24" LCD Syncmaster 2443NW. It did meet some of the requirment I needed.
But it had some issues. The buttons to configure brightness etc. where very hard to use. There was poor ergonomically features. I could live with these issues, the monitor did the job.
However the one issue I couldnt live with was the buzzing noise. When the brightness was reduced from 100 percent the monitor started to buzz. As I work in a quite room I couldnt live with it. I researched and found this is a general issue with this monitor(and many others). I did try leaving it at 100 and editing the brightness on my Nvidea control panel but the screen still hurt my eyes.

Now I am looking for a new monitor that fits these requirments. Some help would be appreciated as Im finding it hard.
1. Must be a 1920 x 1200
2. 24 inch monitor
3. Will be used mainly for office use and web browsing.
4. Must be as silent as possible
5. Would be nice to use for gaming but not massively important.

I was looking at the HP LP2475W for some time, but have recently began to believe this is overkill for my needs. I dont do any kind of graphics stuff so doing all the calibrating and that and having to live with the wide gamet seems like a bit much. I dont mind paying money if its warranted.
 
Theres no easy way (that I know of) to figure out which monitors produce noise and which do not. In many cases it's varies between monitors of the same model and in some cases it varies due to the quality of your current and some variations depends on what voltage you're driving it with (110V in US or 230V in EU for instance).

The LP2475 is a good monitor, perhaps overkill yes but you will at least benefit from the superior panel with good viewing angles.
Another similar monitor is the Dell U2410 which at least where I live is cheaper than the LP2475, dells ultrasharp series has quite nice ergonomics too (I'd guess theres nothing bad with the LP2475 either though).

Both are good monitors, a bit expensive but you get what you pay for - they are a lot nicer than the Samsung. I can't say anything about noise though, mainly because I haven't searched for it, but as I said, it's not easy to know for sure whether the monitor does produce any noise. And it doesn't help that most people doesn't notice it at all, with many claiming it to be dead silent when it isn't.

Those two are the monitors that I recommend the most in the 24" range, given that you're aware of wide gamut and the pretty much non existing alternatives to it.
 
I guess an alternative would be to go with a TN panel which doesnt have wide gamut.

Hard to pick one of these out though, I already tried one and wasnt happy with the noise. Dont want to have all the hassle of returning etc again.
 
Back
Top