help me out, my new comp isnt showing images properly

wayne

2[H]4U
i just built this computer out of scrap... probably costed 80 bucks total

the thing is, most pics are not showing up properly

for example, the smilies on this page and buttons and stuff, all show up as red Xs... some other threads with images in the posts also show up as red Xs and to see the pics, i right click and go to properties and take the link and put it in my url to see it

how do i get pics to show up properly?, i seriously dont know whats wrong

maybe some drivers or something?

help, thanks

Schadenfroh said:
is this a fresh format? what OS and version of IE are you using?
winXP and IE 6.0

yes, this is a fresh format using an old processor, mobo, harddrive, NIC and sound card and cables... psu and cd drives and video card are brand new

ive used this same os cd to make other installations which worked fine, i dont know whats wrong with this one, maybe drivers or something?

For bug testing purposes (and just the plain fact that IE sucks) try a different browser and see if you get the same sort of issue. I suggest you try Mozilla Firefox as it's a relatively small download and free/open source. If you have the same problem in it that you have in IE, we'll know it's something more like firewall, ISP, or other networking. If you don't get the same problem, then we can be 100% sure that it is IE (which, IMO is probably the more likely issue.)

Oh, and if you disable the firewall, be ABSOLUTELY certain all the latest security patches are installed! I'm not kidding. I had my internet connection on about 5 minutes before I installed firewall software one time and had the RPC worm by the time I installed it! (I just forgot to unplug it when reinstalling Windows.)

Moto Guzzi said:
What happens if you disable the Firewall of XP before looging to ISP ?
theres no "logging on" for my isp because its always connected.. i have cable internet

i dont see why it doesnt work on this computer.. i have computers that i installed winXP with the same cd and used the same internet on a router, but pics on this comp still doesnt work

I'm willing to bet it's something misconfigured in the browser. I'm trying to remember just what can cause this exactly. Let us know after you try another browser.

My first guess is that it's related to cacheing settings. But, do you have any kind of proxy at all? Something like Proxomitron could easily be configured to block images. Also, zonealarm (and perhaps similar software) has some options that block a lot of stuff and one of them can be set to block "banners" and images that take too long to load.

sounds odd.

yea, only thing i can think of at the moment is a option in IE6.

Goto internet options, then the advanced tab, then go down to the "multimedia" settings. There is a check box for "show pictures"

Other then that, i woudl then try setting the settings to default........ if that does'nt work, try another browser and/or look for other software that's messing it up.

~Hope this helps

P.s. does it take a while before the pics turn to Red X's? if so, it might be bad internet connection........ but i don't know where you woudl want to start with that problem.

towert7 said:
sounds odd.

yea, only thing i can think of at the moment is a option in IE6.

Goto internet options, then the advanced tab, then go down to the "multimedia" settings. There is a check box for "show pictures"

Other then that, i woudl then try setting the settings to default........ if that does'nt work, try another browser and/or look for other software that's messing it up.

~Hope this helps

P.s. does it take a while before the pics turn to Red X's? if so, it might be bad internet connection........ but i don't know where you woudl want to start with that problem.
show pictures box is already checked

i set it to default and refreshed the pages, still the same

i believe it instantly turns to red xs

whats a proxy?, i doubt i have a proxy... is it like a filter or can be used as a filter?.. if so, can it be used on a network?...sry, just curious

i have no software like zonealarm... remember that this is a fresh installation of winXP and basically, the only programs i have on this computer is cs with pod bot, gif movie gear, aim, gunbound and sisoft sandra...

i really dont know what is causing this problem and troubleshooting is hard because i dont know where to begin

thanks for helping me and puttin up with this guys, i appreciate your help a lot

thanks again

is this just on websites? or is it even when you try and open up a picture from the computer? does this happen with specific file formats? such as .gif .jpg .png .jpeg ?

Other then that........ sounds really odd. Sounds like one of those problems you would have to be there to fix ^_^

Try using an alternate browser to find out. Besides, IE sucks. You really need to try to get used to something else anyway. IE is a security bug waiting to happen (you should have seen the way my sister's computer was hijacked with popups every time IE was even RUN thanks to one of those security holes.)

A proxy is a service one goes through to get to the web. I didn't expect you to have one, just wanted to be sure you weren't running the Proxomitron or anything.

towert7 said:
is this just on websites? or is it even when you try and open up a picture from the computer? does this happen with specific file formats? such as .gif .jpg .png .jpeg ?

Other then that........ sounds really odd. Sounds like one of those problems you would have to be there to fix ^_^
bgtDif1090901143.jpg

its a screenshot of this window... see how i circled in red the smilies thats suposed be there but now its only red Xs

also, the message on the bottom left says Done, but with errors on page.

help?

when you double click the "done: but with errors" what does it say the error is?

And have you tried another browser yet? Even if its just for the sole reason of testing your computer for this problem.

Usually, that error message appears when javascript did not work correctly, eaither that its not enabled, theres problems with their javascript, or theres something wrong with the server. (in the case of hardforum, its not serverside or bad javascript coding............. as it works fine for me and your other computer).

~Keep us posted.

towert7 said:
when you double click the "done: but with errors" what does it say the error is?

And have you tried another browser yet? Even if its just for the sole reason of testing your computer for this problem.

Usually, that error message appears when javascript did not work correctly, eaither that its not enabled, theres problems with their javascript, or theres something wrong with the server. (in the case of hardforum, its not serverside or bad javascript coding............. as it works fine for me and your other computer).

~Keep us posted.
i didnt know it was clickable... but now, when i click to another page or refresh, it shows that message again but real quick like a flash and its gone and now it says Done... i m getting the feeling that it'll appear again so i ll double click it next time i see it

i have been using IE for the last couple months and i forgot names of the other browsers so someone please kindly fill me in with programs that are free, thanks

now that you mentioned java... i remmeber that i been to a few websites and a message popped up asking me to install Java Virtual machine or something like that... but i rejected it thinking i can keep my harddrive clean of clutter this way but then i tried installing it but it wouldnt install, i dont know why

help, thanks

Mozilla. Only browser name you need to know :D
A lot of people (including myself) swear by Mozilla Firefox.

Hm, i wonder if java VM needs to be installed.

If its a problem with no java, using another browser will not help (as it does not have java too).

But, some of the more popular browsers are IE, Netscape, FireFox 9, Mozilla, and Opera to name a few.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ <firefox
http://www.mozila.org <mozilla

Mozilla is kinda based off netscape, and firefox is kinda based off of IE. Both are free, and i prefer firefox over mozilla at the moment.

If a new browser does'nt help, i woudl recommend going to www.java.com and downloading the new free java, or going to microsoft and searching for the Java VM (or maybe Windows update will find it).

On a side note, if you goto internet options, then click the advanced tab and scroll down... do you see something that says Microsoft VM? (it should have a few options). If so, is "JIT compiler for virtual machines enabled" checked? it should be to enable microsoft VM.

~Hope this helps

towert7 said:
Mozilla is kinda based off netscape, and firefox is kinda based off of IE.
Um, no. Netscape 6+ is based off Mozilla's Gecko engine. Mozilla the browser does not have a released Netscape ancestor. Firefox likewise uses Gecko, but without the extra editor / mail / IM / other that Netscape packages. No relation to IE anywhere, thank God.

Anyway, assuming you go Firefox, here are instructions for installing Flash, Java, etc

lomn75, i think you can see i was not being specific.............
I also like how you took the extra time to italicize the "no", LOL, i got a kick out of that.

Anyway, when i say based off, i was giving an example of another program that is very similar to it.

Mozilla has the same feel as netscape, and firefox has the same feel as IE.

And im quite sure the creator of this thread got my meaning, so i think its safe to say im happy.

~Hope this clears up my post lomn75.

P.s., i don't blame you lomn75 for misunderstanding what i tried to say, i blame it on the internet.

towert7 said:
lomn75, i think you can see i was not being specific.............
I also like how you took the extra time to italicize the "no", LOL, i got a kick out of that.

Anyway, when i say based off, i was giving an example of another program that is very similar to it.

Mozilla has the same feel as netscape, and firefox has the same feel as IE.

And im quite sure the creator of this thread got my meaning, so i think its safe to say im happy.

~Hope this clears up my post lomn75.

P.s., i don't blame you lomn75 for misunderstanding what i tried to say, i blame it on the internet.
stupid internet, lol

anyways, i have decided not to try other browsers yet for the sake of simplicity

however, i saw that error message thing again and i double clicked it and this is what i got

Problems with this Web page might prevent it from being displayed properly or functioning properly. In the future, you can display this message by double -clicking the warning icon displayed in the status bar.

(BOX) Always display this message when a page contains errors

DETAILS
Line:3522
Char:2
Error:Object expected
Code:0
URL:http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=782018

i have no idea

but yea, i tried installing java vm a while ago but it wouldnt install for some reason, i dont know why.. i also dont know why i need java vm... so help me out here

help, thanks

Ok, as of right now, only thing i can say is eaither get microsoft VM, and then update the java by downloading the free java at www.sun.com

Other then that, i recommend you download another web browser. it won't make it more complicated really, it will just test to see if its something messed up in IE.

~Hope this helps

lomn75 said:
Um, no. Netscape 6+ is based off Mozilla's Gecko engine. Mozilla the browser does not have a released Netscape ancestor. Firefox likewise uses Gecko, but without the extra editor / mail / IM / other that Netscape packages. No relation to IE anywhere, thank God.

Anyway, assuming you go Firefox, here are http://java.sun.com/[/url

Funny thing about that. Mozilla started from the released source code of Netscape a long time ago. Now, it is Mozilla which sets the standards all browsers that have any hope (eg all but IE) use. This is why Netscape and so many others were based off of Mozilla.

Anyway, back to the issue at hand. Which Java VM did you try? Microsoft's? Because after some recent court stuff, they no longer can rip Sun off by making their own Java VM and you have to get the official one from Sun's website (see this site: [url]http://java.sun.com/
) As for the browser, you talk about simplicity, well, you don't get simpler than Mozilla or Opera. I personally absolutely LOVE Opera. However, for things like this, you obviously don't want to get a commercial browser (that comes later when you decide you want to try things out to see what you like best, btw, it has a free version with ads.) For now, download Mozilla Firefox. The Firefox is a bit harder to find since basically it's the latest beta of whatever they are working with. However, this is the component that each full version of Mozilla uses for the web browsing (the full version has all the other stuff integrated -- this is just like Netscape did.) Just go to http://www.mozilla.org/ for that. Right now Firefox is listed at the very top of the page though sometimes it takes a bit more digging to find it. You see, it is IE that is actually more complicated, bloated, and etc normally. Once you learn how to use a good browser, you really won't regret it (and you'll be laughing whenever you go to help a friend fix their computer that has been hijacked through IE...)

Anyway, I just want you to try another browser for the sake of testing right now. I don't really mean you have to permanently switch (though, IMO, you really really should.) Once we narrow things down a bit more, we can get more of an idea if it is more a system-wide issue or IE-specific problem.

I don't know about you, but IE6 is less "bloated" then firefox as far as i know. Firefox takse a long time to load up... it has to load tabed browsing, and dom scripting engin, and all that other stuff......... it tracks images, has a built in pop up blocker........... My IE6 has nothing in it but the browser........ so to me its less bloated. ^_^

Would you belive that there was a thread started to see what browsers people use, and you would'nt belive the hate some people feel about others. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=763270 that's the link.

What's funny, is how much better microsofts java VM worked, then the stand alone version of the new Java for download. The new free java is much slower then microsofts on my computer for some reason.... odd. Its the same way with my dads too.

On a side note, i would like to state that i like IE because of its options much better then firefox. The only thing that makes me not like IE fully is because of all the peopel that try and develop and find security holes in it.............. those people are mean people.

But i mean, IE has so much custimization.......... whereas firefox can only give a few options for java security. With my IE i can tell it whether to download Active X, download Signed Active X, all that stuff............. options to display pics, options to play audio in the browser (mind you, not that stupid blue bar that pops up in the left... that thing is CRAP... im talking embedded audio), play video, how to handle downloads, page transitions... Disable scripts ^_^

Basically, i have my IE so it only displays HTML for the basic internet, with the exception of signed things. I don't have that power in Firefox.... ~_~

~Just my personal experience, and although i will never get involved in one of those "which browser is the best" arguments, i just wanted to say that there is at least on person who values IE6 (execpt for the security holes, mind you ^_^).

P.s., i never tried MyIE2

Don't judge by load times alone. IE started loading up when Windows started, it's integrated like insane, remember?

Anyway, IE has a lot more extra crap. Oh, and btw, popup blocking isn't some extra component that loads up when you start the browser. It is completely built in to the browser itself. Unlike IE where you have to use an external one that tries to control IE, which is much less efficient.

Personally, Firefox seemed to start faster than IE for me, but, it's VERY hard to tell. This isn't exactly a slow CPU after all. ^_^

EDIT: BTW, part of why Firefox has less security options is because it NEEDS less. Unlike MS, the people who made it didn't feel that random website designers (especially ad designers) should have the right and ability to completely take over every aspect of your browser as well as install software on your PC...

EDIT2: Oh, and with the post below this one, I feel the need to point out that ActiveX isn't exactly very needed. In fact, ideally it really should NOT be used in a web browser of all things... Just another example of those stupid proprietary things MS just loves to use. Everything you can do with IE, you can do in any real browser if only you follow the official W3C standard instead of the proprietary IE non-standard.

Let's not forget however, this is not about you permantenly switching browsers, but, merely a test. Even if you are going to uninstall it five minutes later despite all we say, put on firefox and at least see if it works or has the same problem as IE.

towert7 said:
On a side note, i would like to state that i like IE because of its options much better then firefox. The only thing that makes me not like IE fully is because of all the peopel that try and develop and find security holes in it.............. those people are mean people.

But i mean, IE has so much custimization.......... whereas firefox can only give a few options for java security. With my IE i can tell it whether to download Active X, download Signed Active X, all that stuff............. options to display pics, options to play audio in the browser (mind you, not that stupid blue bar that pops up in the left... that thing is CRAP... im talking embedded audio), play video, how to handle downloads, page transitions... Disable scripts ^_^
Just FYI, save ActiveX (which is unsupported), FF has virtually every one of those, and in some cases more (No images vs all images vs only images from the originating server, or per-feature JavaScript permissions).

I'd think the security issue alone would be enough to convince people to leave IE in droves.

All that said, though -- it's your choice.

lomn75 said:
I'd think the security issue alone would be enough to convince people to leave IE in droves.
Just like the lack of security, bloated software, amazingly frequent disconnects, slower service (compared to a real ISP, don't just say "it's fast for me" if you haven't direclty compared,) and etc should make people leave AOL in droves -- in theory. In practice, users will put up with a lot when one is easier than the other rather than have to go through all the trouble to learn all the new stuff. Plus a lot of people just don't even realize how dangerous IE is and how easy it is to install trojans through it.

Back