• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

help me orient my cpu fans

tantalus

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
272
So I've got the rig in the sig, with a CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 cpu cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103064

Till, now, I've been running it with just one fan, in a pull configuration, blowing downward. But I want to OC my CPU, so I need a bit more cooling. I bought a second fan to run a push pull configuration. But I'm not sure if I should orient the fans so that they blow to the top of the case, or blow downward. There's not much room either way.

Unfortunately, I can't orient the fan so that it blows backward (toward the back exhaust fan), which is what I think would be best.

Any thoughts?

My case has 2 intake fans and one exhaust fan. It has a mesh cutout on the side of the case that I've removed to take this picture:

d3QSmQPl.jpg
 
Try it and see.
There are reasons to do both.

Blowing down toward the cpu, you are blowing air over more hot surfaces.

Blowing up, the hot air is less likely to circulate in the case as it will route out of the case rear faster.

Ah, the pictures didnt load...new advice:
Blow upwards.

You can fit cardboard air routers above the heatsink to force air towards the rear.
I've used this method a few times, works well.
 
You can fit cardboard air routers above the heatsink to force air towards the rear.
I've used this method a few times, works well.

Thanks for the idea, but I'm having trouble picturing what I should do. Should I put a baffle or something hanging from the top of the case and dropping down a bit toward the right side of the CPU? That would stop the air from blowing rightwards.
 
Cut up a cereal packet (for example) with a long run of cardboard as tall as you can make it to fit from the motherboard to the case front if possible.
Make a bending route from the right side of the heatsink to the top of the case, so that it bends 90 degrees by the time it touches the top of the case, routing the air toward the rear of the case.
 
I would also blow a quiet 80mm fan at your memory as the air will stagnate over the memory once the cardboard air route is in place.
It doesnt matter where the air goes, its not a lot of heat energy overall, but it needs removing from the ram.
 
Back
Top