• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me Optimize Airflow!

Peteman100

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 7, 2007
Messages
1,466
I have a P182 and need opinions of which type of fan to use for the top vent. This is what I have so far, with pic for illustration (Thanks to whomever i stole this from!):

Bottom- Stock 120mm tri-flow, probably on low setting
Front- Scythe 120mm Slipstream 800rpm (40 CFM)
Back- Scythe S-Flex SFF21E 1200rpm (49 CFM)
Top- This is the one in question. I was thinking the Scythe S-Flex SFF21D 800rpm (33 CFM) because it will be mounted horizontally. I also want to minimize noise on this fan, since it is in a position which can emit the most noise. Would this be a sound choice, based on what I already have? Give me your opinions.

Case%20Fan.JPG
 
It depends upon if you will be using a HSF with a fan or not (I believe). I took this picture awhile ago when I was trying to figure out air flow. I modded the fan placement and moved the bottom fan to the front of the lower HDD bay (plus cut away at the baffles on the air intake and some metal). I also closed off the top vent to prevent air-shorting and used Yate loons (slow) on the front two fan placements and a Slipstreams 60 cfm fan for the back fan; inconjunction with the Xiga HSF fan. I haven't run the system yet, because I'm still waiting on the cpu to get here...
 
I am definitely using a fan on my CPU heatsink. I have an ocz vendetta 2 that I will be mounting.
 
I guess my lack of responses means I was on the right track. I'll order the Scythe S-Flex SFF21D.
 
Actually, I've seen lots of people with higher-end setups just block that top fan off. With just the front-upper fan, and the rear exhaust, you're getting perfectly adequate airflow. Just check out the gallery in SPCR forums.
 
Are they really getting enough flow from just 2 fans? What's the deal with all these cases with a million fans then?
 
Are they really getting enough flow from just 2 fans? What's the deal with all these cases with a million fans then?

Because manufacturers know that most people think more=better. Hey, if 2 Aleve make me feel better, than 2 more will make me feel great, right? Wrong. A lot of people think having your whole friggin' case made out of mesh is good too, but it's actually a giant short-circuit for proper airflow.

If you have good heatsinks that can do their job, you can run a single rear Tri-Cool on low, and the front Tri-cool on low also and get good air flow and decent temps. I can't seem to find it, but I've seen charts comparisons of the P180/182 with and without the top fan. From these charts, I do remember that the top fan made little to no difference in temperature. Not only was it not very effective, it was a noisemaker too. I've read lots of reports of those top fans doing hardly anything more than make the entire top panel buzz.
 
Well, I'm up and running Prime stabe at 4.05 MHz. System is running around 41c at load while the Cores are at ~52 degrees C. I have the the top vent blocked off and I'm running two Yate Loons (Slow) in the front and the Slip Streams (60CFM) in the rear; this is in conjunction with my Xigmatek S1283. Keep in mind I moved my lower fan placement to the front of the lower HDD bay.
 
Well, I'm up and running Prime stabe at 4.05 MHz. System is running around 41c at load while the Cores are at ~52 degrees C. I have the the top vent blocked off and I'm running two Yate Loons (Slow) in the front and the Slip Streams (60CFM) in the rear; this is in conjunction with my Xigmatek S1283. Keep in mind I moved my lower fan placement to the front of the lower HDD bay.

How did you block off the top opening? I'm thinking about doing this, as well.
 
Back
Top