• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me OC my i7 920

chzxmnky

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 5, 2005
Messages
138
Hello everyone!

I recently built an i7 computer and would like to overclock it. It's been a few years since I've done any overclocking (Opteron 165), and even then I was at best an amateur.

Here is my build:
Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz
w/ Xigmatek HDT-S1283
w/ Scythe S-Flex 1200rpm 120mm Fan
DFI Lanparty Jr. X58-T3H6
12GB OCZ DDR3 1600
Corsair 620W Modular PSU
All inside of an Antec Mini P180

This motherboard has so many options, I don't even know where to start!
Heres a review of the Motherboard with some pictures of the BIOS:
http://www.ninjalane.com/reviews/motherboards/lanpartyjr-x58-t3h6/page5.aspx

Real Temp 3.00 reports my processor running around 36c idle. Is that too high?

As for a goal, is it unreasonable to want 3.8Ghz with my setup?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give me!

Extra Question: I have my Xigmatek HDT-S1283 blowing air upwards towards the larger fan on the top of the Mini P180. Is this wise? or should I re-orient it to face towards the back of the case? Thanks!

-chzxmnky
 
Where to start...???

The main things you're looking at are:
CPU Multiplier
QPI Link
Uncore Frequency
BCLK (Base Clock)
Memory Multiplier
CPU Vcore
QPI/VTT Voltage
DRAM Voltage

For Advanced CPU Features, I would keep everything disabled except: Hyper-Threading and Thermal Monitor.

Too much stuff to walk through, so to begin, I'd suggest taking a look at a few overclocking guides:
1. http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2008/11/06/overclocking-intel-core-i7-920/1
2. Gigabyte's Official i7 920 Overclocking Guide
 
Idle Temp could really matter less, you want to see if you will get error'd or crashes under load

But by the idle temp- it's fine

3.8ghz is NOT unreasonable, but you MAY have to put an unreasonable amount of voltage into your chip.

also, nothing wrong with your hsf blowing up- since you have the fan on top
 
3.8ghz is NOT unreasonable, but you MAY have to put an unreasonable amount of voltage into your chip.

Thanks for the responses!

What would an unreasonable amount of voltage be? What amount(s) of voltage would be within reason?
 
Thanks for the responses!

What would an unreasonable amount of voltage be? What amount(s) of voltage would be within reason?

You should not have to pump more than 1.4v to hit 3.8. Just keep an eye on temps and read up. Try to keep load temps under 80C, I personally don't like going over 75C.
 
Back
Top