Help me OC my first Intel rig in 6yrs

Kueller

Supreme [H]ardness
So I'm playing around with my first Intel rig in a while (since I smoked my northwood a number of years ago).

I don't really know what I'm doing, so maybe you guys can point me in the right direction.
i7-950
EVGA X58 SLI (B-stock, I'm cheap)
2x2gb Avexir ram
Replaced the guts of that first rig in my sig, so it's got the H50, raid, ssd, ect.

Only put it together last night, so I haven't had a ton of time to mess with it, but I got it to 4255 (23x185, 5 "high" IBT passes) @ 1.3v (in bios, vdroop OFF), it loads up around 1.35v, 1.2v qpi 1.2v IOH (something like that), 1.6vdimm (ram's running 1460ish). Set the uncore thingy to 17x since the ram div is 2:8.
Temps get up to about 70c on the CPU temp, and 77-78 on the core temps. What really worries me is the VREG temp will hit 85c running p95 or linx. I think the H50 is working against me there, since the fans are moved away from the CPU socket and don't generate any airflow over the passive VREG heatpipe. Gonna see if I can slip one of these extra AMD stock HSF fans (60mm) on there when I get home.

Try looking around for OC'ing threads in the same sub...I think there are some good ones anyway, I'll try looking...I'll post if I found any

Yeah, I found some old ones, but I wanted to make sure I was doing things right for a D0, as some of the old guides I read were for C0 and apparently used fairly high voltages. Since I have no experience with the X58/i7 platform, I figured I'd ask.

Looks about right, be careful with that vdimm voltage though since the memory controller is on die now. I believe 1.65 is the highest you want to go (not 100% sure on that I'm at work).

Eh, why only 2x2GB memory? get another stick from mwave (i think it's still on sale) and make it triple channel :D

Eh, why only 2x2GB memory? get another stick from mwave (i think it's still on sale) and make it triple channel :D

It's still in the mail! :p 2x2gb order went through last week, my second 2gb order didn't get in before the weekend, so it only shipped out monday.

Yeah, I found some old ones, but I wanted to make sure I was doing things right for a D0, as some of the old guides I read were for C0 and apparently used fairly high voltages. Since I have no experience with the X58/i7 platform, I figured I'd ask.

If you like the OC you have now just lower the vcore until it's stable.

Also the differences between triple and dual channel are VERY small.

It's still in the mail! :p 2x2gb order went through last week, my second 2gb order didn't get in before the weekend, so it only shipped out monday.

Oh ok, hehe. I actually got 6 sticks for $25 each, took a week to order them since you can only order once per day, but the deal has been active the whole time and I used a review coupon for every order. Going 12GB when they get here.

Damn, I just got a review offer in my email for the first 2x2gb kit...Another 2gb for $25 is awfully hard to resist.

Can I use speedstep while OCing? Cool 'n quiet worked fine on my AMD rigs, is the same true of speedstep for intel?

Back