• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Help me interpret my PSU readings

Binar

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Dec 8, 2007
Messages
1,191
Long story short today I'm waiting on the 3rd GTX 690 to come from RMA.
First one died after 1 month of very light use (I'm not a gamer)
Second one died after less than 24 hours

Before installing the 3rd one I've been told that either my luck is fucked up or my PSU is killing my card. So I went ahead and got a PSU tester http://www.amazon.com/Coolmax-Power-Supply-Tester-PS-228/dp/B002R06PGE/
Here are my reading and I think they are fine but I want to double check with you guys:


-12V= 11.8
+12V= 12.4
5Vsb(standby)= 5.1
PG= 310 ms
+5V= 5.0
+12V1= 12.4
+3.3V= 3.4
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That tester doesn't put a load on the PSU, so what it's giving you is a "Yes, your PSU functions" but no insight if its got component killing ripple or going out of spec under load.

What PSU do you have?
 
If you have an O-scope, you can't.

I'd crack open that thing and see if the Teapo caps are holding up.

Do you really think bad caps on a PSU would kill a GPU? Cracking open the PSU might be a problem.
 
Absolutely. Caps filter ripple. Bad caps means the ripple isn't being filtered, and on a PSU that big, I bet it'll get out of spec fast.
 
Absolutely. Caps filter ripple. Bad caps means the ripple isn't being filtered, and on a PSU that big, I bet it'll get out of spec fast.

since you obviously know more about PSU's than I do , I'll bug you with another question... Is there any other way to check for bad capacitators besides cracking it open?
 
since you obviously know more about PSU's than I do , I'll bug you with another question... Is there any other way to check for bad capacitators besides cracking it open?

You could try using a flashlight or good light source and look through the fan/slots(magnifying glass if you cant see well), or try another PSU?
 
since you obviously know more about PSU's than I do , I'll bug you with another question... Is there any other way to check for bad capacitators besides cracking it open?

What Hagrid said. Peer through the fans and see if you catch anything buldging or leaking. Teapos do have a tendancy to fail without indication though, so you could still have bad caps even with them looking good.

When it comes down to it, I wouldn't trust an Ultra PSU ever, so I'd just swap it out.

Whats your full system specs? Something tells me you have nearly 1000w to much PSU.
 
What Hagrid said. Peer through the fans and see if you catch anything buldging or leaking. Teapos do have a tendancy to fail without indication though, so you could still have bad caps even with them looking good.

When it comes down to it, I wouldn't trust an Ultra PSU ever, so I'd just swap it out.

Whats your full system specs? Something tells me you have nearly 1000w to much PSU.
MVE
1600 W Ultrax3
3770k not OC (not with GPU's giving me a headache)
32 gb Crucial ballistix (tested with memtest for days...1 by 1, 2 by 2, 4 by 4)
256 gb SSD Samsung 830 x 2 raid 0
couple of optical drives
a closed loop water pump
I'm not on a 20 amp bracket ..only on 15 amp so the PSU actually pulls max 1200 W
 
MVE
1600 W Ultrax3
3770k not OC (not with GPU's giving me a headache)
32 gb Crucial ballistix (tested with memtest for days...1 by 1, 2 by 2, 4 by 4)
256 gb SSD Samsung 830 x 2 raid 0
couple of optical drives
a closed loop water pump
I'm not on a 20 amp bracket ..only on 15 amp so the PSU actually pulls max 1200 W

The PSU will only pull what it needs.

Jorona is right, even with dual 7970/680's, you only may need 1/2 that if you had a quality PS.
 
The PSU will only pull what it needs.

Jorona is right, even with dual 7970/680's, you only may need 1/2 that if you had a quality PS.

What i meant to say the max it pulls is 1200 W ...to get to 1600 w I need to get it on a 20 amp braker.

I do agree there are better PSU's made by better companies out there but since I have this one I'll try to inspect it for internal dmg. I don't usually fix it if it ain't broken...TY for your input guys
 
Back
Top