• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me improve my setup...

KnishofDeath

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
1,090
Current:

Computer: 27" iMac

Speakers: Swan D1080MKII on Wood Tech Speaker Stands

Headphones: Sennheiser HD-595

I am considering getting this DAC / Headphone Amp to improve my audio setup

F3Black640x480.jpg


I also plan ordering the SUPPLIER Power Supply Unit to go along with it.

My question is, is this the best way to spend about $350-$400 on my setup or is there something else or other recommendations that could give more of an improvement for the money?
 
FWIW, I see Audioengine A5 owners post regularly at AVS forums asking for upgrade advice because they feel the A5s are overpriced for what it gives them. I've personally never heard the A5s, in fact I considered them at one time but decided that having a receiver with more inputs was advantageous and settled on a pair of CBM-170SEs instead.

Also I find some of the spec claims unlikely. The A5s claim to have 1" MDF cabinets yet the passive speaker only weighs 9lbs. Based on its dimensions it fits closer to a 0.625" MDF cabinet, which is typical for bookshelf speakers. Speakers with 1" MDF weigh QUITE a bit, and the returns on making thicker mdf cabinets are pretty low past 5/8". Usher makes bookshelves with 1.625" thick cabinets and they still have trouble holding down resonances.
 
Last edited:
Has anyone compared these to the AudioEngine A5?

EDIT: I don't think an amp or a DAC will help you very much with the 595. Sell the HD595 and pickup an HD650 and an amp like the Fubar.

Heh, I bought the 595's for $160, 650's are over $300 by themselves and will sound terrible without a good amp.
 
Has anyone compared these to the AudioEngine A5?

EDIT: I don't think an amp or a DAC will help you very much with the 595. Sell the HD595 and pickup an HD650 and an amp like the Fubar.

The WAF-1s did a good job going head to head with the Ascend Acoustics Sierras at the AVS get-together, and I highly doubt the A5 would be anywhere near the Sierras in a speaker shootout.
 
Heh, I bought the 595's for $160, 650's are over $300 by themselves and will sound terrible without a good amp.

Yeah, I wasn't sure how big your budget was at first.

What do you use more, headphones or speakers?
 
Yeah, I wasn't sure how big your budget was at first.

What do you use more, headphones or speakers?


During the day I listen to speakers only, at night pretty much exclusively headphones.


So really about 50/50
 
Back
Top