Help me identify this pump/res please.

M.D.K.

Limp Gawd
I won this at a lan party, they handed it to me and said "here you go, theres no box or manual and we know nothing about it."

Linked for huge: http://seewhatididthere.com/mod/IMG_0844.jpg

I looked a bit and all the sites I find are in german. The base and cap of the res appear to be aluminum, would using a copper block be bad? Also, is the pump shielded in any way? The only place I could really put it is very close to my hard drives, which might be bad. The whole thing seems really high quality, I'd really like to do some watercooling.

It's an Innovatek 12vdc pump and reservoir. So long as you use their anti-corrosion fluid in the system you won't have any problems. Keep in mind that Innovatek will invalidate your warranty if you use anything in your system besides what they sell. In essence you don't really have a warranty :( You can get more information from FrozenCPU

As far as putting it near a hard drive that might not be a good place due to it's magnetic field. However, you can get a FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) made by Aqua Computer that will get rid of this problem.

Hmm, that second link says that the impeller is magnetic, this one is made out of some sort of plastic so how could that be?

Utterly impossible for a pump's magnetic field to affect data stored on a on a hard disk drive.

Cathar said:
Utterly impossible for a pump's magnetic field to affect data stored on a on a hard disk drive.

My pump has been next to my hard drives for the past year and a half, without any metal coverings. :) No problems here, or anywhere for that matter.

That pump is an Innovatek HPPS, which is an Eheim 1046 modified to run on 12v and it has more head pressure than the stock 1048. They're on the expensive side though, and there's a new one out called the HPPS Plus, with 6.7 feet of head stock, and then if you jumper it to 'power' mode, the head increases to match that of the Laing DDC. All 'power mode' really does is overvolt the pump to Eheim 1048 levels, and there's a 'silent mode' that makes it run with less head and lower flow than a stock 1046. The reservoir is a Tank-O-Matic plugon, and they come in 4 colors (silver, blue, red and, black) and 2 sizes (small or large).

I also think you've got very little concern with EMF/Magnetic field from the pump if mounted close to a HDD. It certainly will not erase the disk.

That being said, I mounted my pump right next to my HDDs in a Lian-Li PC-75b and one of the drives died within 4 months. Was a brand-new drive. I'm planning on getting the FMJ shield but that's really just because I don't want to look at the pump. Heh.

M.D.K. said:
Hmm, that second link says that the impeller is magnetic, this one is made out of some sort of plastic so how could that be?

If you pull it out you will see that the vanes are plastic but the main body is magnetic. Otherwise the pump would not work as it generates a magnetic field to spin the impeller. My personal opinion is that the FMJ is ugly as hell in basic flat black, but others have painted or chromed them to good effect. The chance of data corruption from a magnetic field generated in the presence of magnetic media may or may not be an issue. However, when I put my 2nd Aquastream in right next to my hard drives I think I will err on the side of caution.

where would the jumper be? I dont see a jumper on mine, but it doesnt say plus on it anywhere either, so I guess it isnt the plus.

Anyway I found some tube, the fittings are a real weird size. The hose is 5/16id, 7/16 od, kind of a weird size.

Heres a picture of my "loop":
http://seewhatididthere.com/mod/IMG_0860.jpg

I put some screws/random cas hardware next to it, and it has a noticable magnetism only at about 1/" or less... so I dont think I'll worry about the full metal jacket. even in a worst case scenario that the drives would get corrupted, losing the data on this thing isnt really that big of a deal.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Cathar said:
does that statement include unshielded pumps? the pump i have messes with the picture on my CRTs, so i'm wondering if i need to shield it before using it inside my case.

Hard Drive bits flip with around 900 Oested of magnetic flux. The disk drive write heads to do this are located at about 0.01mm from the disk platter surface. The platters are located about 5mm in from the drive casing

Crunching through the maths of it, something would have to produce a magnetic field strong enough to move a mid-sized metal wrench about from a 2 foot distance. If the field were that strong and then you took the hard drive and stuck it right onto the thing making the magnetic field, only then would you have a chance of flipping bits.

Have to remember, the disk drive's head actuators are actually fairly powerful electro-magnets, and they sit right next to the platters flipping the whole disk head armature about extremely quickly.

If the disk drive were located 10cm (4") away from the pump, then the pump's magnetic field would need to be strong enough to move a 170lb metal object about from 2' distance to be an issue.

BellaCroix's experience could be due to any number of factors. Hard-drive death is not that uncommon in the best of circumstances. Anyone remembering the old IBM DeathStars will be familiar with drive death rates of as high as 50% over 6 months.

M.D.K. said:
Anyway I found some tube, the fittings are a real weird size. The hose is 5/16id, 7/16 od, kind of a weird size.

It's not a weird size, but it is metric (8mm ID) I think

Top Nurse said:
It's not a weird size, but it is metric (8mm ID) I think

5/16" = 7.94mm, or so close to 8mm that they are effectively the same thing.

5/16" is a fairly common tubing size for many industrial applications.

Cathar said:
5/16" = 7.94mm, or so close to 8mm that they are effectively the same thing.

5/16" is a fairly common tubing size for many industrial applications.

I thought we were discussing the Innovatek fittings which are metric?

BellaCroix said:
I also think you've got very little concern with EMF/Magnetic field from the pump if mounted close to a HDD. It certainly will not erase the disk.

That being said, I mounted my pump right next to my HDDs in a Lian-Li PC-75b and one of the drives died within 4 months. Was a brand-new drive. I'm planning on getting the FMJ shield but that's really just because I don't want to look at the pump. Heh.
Hell I have a rather large rountain pump for a WC pump, and it has never have me any problems. It has a huge magnet in it as well.

Top Nurse said:

:rolleyes:

M.D.K. said:

M.D.K was talking about both being "weird". I was saying that for intents and purposes that 5/16" can be treated as being equivalent to 8mm.

Yes, I know. It was all too much to take in at once since anything that I would say which was totally impartial could only ever be perceived as something of an attack on you, rather than merely providing supplementary information. :rolleyes:

Top Nurse said:
MDK will have an easier time finding tubing in imperial measurements...

Cathar said:
Yes, I know. It was all too much to take in at once since anything that I would say which was totally impartial could only ever be perceived as something of an attack on you, rather than merely providing supplementary information.

Actually if I recall right you are the one who has decided that you are going to follow me all around the [H]ardForum to dispel my "brown stuff." I just came over here to post to see how serious you were about it. Now I can see how serious you are and I am absolutely honored that you are going to spend all this time looking up all my posts so you can run around and post after me. :D

CAD OC'er said:
MDK will have an easier time finding tubing in imperial measurements...

Yes I do agree and I apologize for the post but as you can see from my previous post it was for an ulterior motive.

Top Nurse said:
I am absolutely honored that you are going to spend all this time looking up all my posts so you can run around and post after me. :D

Pleased to be of service. Get used to it.

M.D.K. said:
where would the jumper be? I dont see a jumper on mine, but it doesnt say plus on it anywhere either, so I guess it isnt the plus.

Heres a picture of my "loop":
http://seewhatididthere.com/mod/IMG_0860.jpg

I put some screws/random cas hardware next to it, and it has a noticable magnetism only at about 1/" or less... so I dont think I'll worry about the full metal jacket. even in a worst case scenario that the drives would get corrupted, losing the data on this thing isnt really that big of a deal.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Actually, the only real (suppose they were side by side and pumping) difference between the Plus version and the older one is that the Plus has a bit more head pressure. The jumpers are more like bridges on the circuit board, so you'll have to remove the blue end cap. Check this review: http://watercoolplanet.de/index.php?open=2&show=107, it's in German, but the pictures show what I mean. The Plus and the older version (I have one too) use an identical base unit, so the only visible difference between them is that the Plus 's circuit board is marked and shows you how to change the modes, whereas the older one does not.

I don't think the FMJ's made for the Eheim 1046's fit on the HPPS anyway, I do know the one for the 1048 does, but it's on the big side and might not be long enough.

I don't have a pic as of now, but my loop has the HPPS connected to a short black Tank-O-Matic plugon, then it's to the Cape X2 Pro waterblock (it's a copper slug inside a plexi housing), then to the Innovatek NV40 block, down to a Noise Isolator dual pass rad and, back to the filltank. It's all 8mm ID.

Thanks for the helpful info, pooky. Mine is the plus afterall, I guess. The little pcb has a chart with jumper settings from 64-72 hz, def, and auto. What is auto and how/how well does it work? Damn I wish this thing came with a manual!

That sounds like a sweet setup btw. I'm using a dangerden BlackIce Pro 120mm, and an RBX. I cant afford a cooler for my 6800 though. I chose to go with 3/8 ID tubing, because I couldnt get 8mm on my res and block at the time I ordered it. In retrospect it would have been much easier to go with 8mm tubing, but now im into it for a few bucks and I might as well go the distance. I guess this is what happens when you order stuff at the ass end of a 72 hour lanparty.

Cathar said:
If the disk drive were located 10cm (4") away from the pump, then the pump's magnetic field would need to be strong enough to move a 170lb metal object about from 2' distance to be an issue.

BellaCroix's experience could be due to any number of factors. Hard-drive death is not that uncommon in the best of circumstances. Anyone remembering the old IBM DeathStars will be familiar with drive death rates of as high as 50% over 6 months.

So what you're saying is that my plan to build a computer inside an MRI machine may not be a good idea afterall?

And I know there's a lot of factors that could have caused the problem. Especially since it was a RAID 0 array where one little bug can cause a lot of issues. Not necessarily blaming the pump right next to the drives... just planning on playing it safe. ;)

I know the actual flipping of bits is not probable.. or possible i suppose, but how about the data going through the cables, would an EMF disrupt the flow of electrons through a cable? I ask because if i attempt to W/C my SFF this summer my pump will be located RIGHT NEXT to my IDE cables for my DVD/R and will be in close proximity to my HDD cables.

M.D.K. said:
Thanks for the helpful info, pooky. Mine is the plus afterall, I guess. The little pcb has a chart with jumper settings from 64-72 hz, def, and auto. What is auto and how/how well does it work? Damn I wish this thing came with a manual!

After checking mine, it doesn't have any info at all :confused: Mine's definitely not a plus! Def is probably default, which would be 64hz, or whatever is close to a stock Eheim 1046. 72 turns it into an "I don't know", maybe the 1048 (or higher). I had some questions about the HPPS, so I asked Scott at High Speec PC (www.highspeedpc.com) and he said that the auto setting would automattically detect whatever settings would work best, and the pump would do some self regulating, or at least, that's what I think he said (I lost the email when I accidentally wiped my HDD partition - I got it back but some things were not what they should have been :mad: ).

I picked up a DDC and I'm thinking of going with 3/8" tubing over 1/2" barbs. Block choices are either a Maze4/TDX/MCW6000 and an acetal Maze 4 GPU, although the chrome plated one is really blingin'!

Going on the asumption that the Aqua Computer Aquastream and the Innovatek HPPS are the same basic pump I can tell you a little about the Aquastream and HPPS +. First of all they are not 12vdc native pumps. They are in fact AC pumps that use DC voltage. The separate Aquastream controller and the internal HPPS controller evidently convert 12vdc into 9vac. By varying the Hz or the cycles per second of the AC they are able to increase or decrease the performance of the pump. So from the previous post by Pooky I can surmise that there is a default setting which I think is around 54 Hz. The 64-72 Hz corresponds to an increased pump status of around 1048 flow rates as it does when using the Aquaero to OC the Aquastream pump.

The AUTO function must be something new by Innovatek and have no clue about it. :) Perhaps it is the setting used if the Fan-O-Matic is hooked up to it? Just a guess...

Back