Help me identify this! PICS!

fusionrs

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an old Sony Vaio 500mhz P3. I use it for my file/rdp server. It has a connection for the flat panel that came with it. It is a 15 inch. Here are the pics of the cable/connector going into the computer and the port it plugs into. I was wondering what this is. It is not the typical monitor plug nor the DVI. Thanks :)

Really what I am looking for is a converter for this.

backcomp1.jpg
backcomp2.jpg

flatpanel.jpg

The flat panel

sorry man i have no clue what that is.

try googling your monitor and see if theres anything special about it, or just buy a cheap pci video card.

maybe sony has their own lcd's it seem slike a laptop type lcd and the mobo has a onboard lcd controller on it

wait i think i remember seeing something like that on my pIII motherboard. it was like digital output or something. Does your case have any other video out on it? also does it have agp or is it only that weird connector?

also, open it up and see where its connected.

EDIT: just looked at my manual, its labeled DVO connector, if that helps

I dont know if anyone else saw this but on the first picture there is a label under the port that says "for PCVA-14XLAP only". I think that this may be a custom port for this sony monitor. as BillR pointed out it looks like it is a/v which most monitors arent.

That "part number" is actually a sony monitor..seems to be a few on Ebay (where else? :rolleyes: ) A search always seems to lead to overseas sites making me think perhaps this computer was never meant for "USA" distrabution. That or only a few got through for sale. Gotta watch internet sales and the many dealers who deal in "grey market" goods. ;)

Luck

BillR

Well hmm all I want is a converter. Like I said. Also there is another port on the back for "monitor" which looks like a standard connection.

xphantg0d said:
Why do you need a converter in the first place? What is wrong with the LCD you have now?

I want to use this LCD with a different PC! Not the old vaio that it came with.

It's a DFP plug. You need a DFP female to DVI male plug. Search on ebay. I got one for like $12 shipped. Not sure if they have DFP to VGA though.

your lcd looks really washed out and faded already in the pics. how old is that thing? maybe your better of with a new one if you have the money

ati_azn said:
your lcd looks really washed out and faded already in the pics. how old is that thing? maybe your better of with a new one if you have the money

Ati_azn, the display just looks that way in the picture it is very crisp and really has only been in use for about 1 year.

Hmmm I saw the DFP to DVI but not to VGA. I'll have to look for those. If anyone knows where to find one please share.

Also I called up Sony today and they had no fricking clue...

I have the same computer but not the display fusionrs. It died on a client of mine and he wanted me to rescue his data. I did - and the HD completely failed about 3 minutes after I got all his data off. It was a pretty big score.

Anyway he gave me the computer but not the monitor - which I know can't work with any regular VGA or DVI out - unless you get that converter. The way I understand it is that its the same as DVI but it also carries power.

An interesting note about the Vaio I have, it would not work with the onboard video card. I noticed the jumper on the mobo was broken off. I just soldered the two spots for the jumper together and use the onboard VGA now. I'm using this as an MP3 player.

well, like i mentioned if you do a pin count on yours, and then that on ebay, youll see that the sony has a lot more pins then the DFP, im presuming it could be DFP + power, but then it could also be something sony made, and power

fusionrs - time to bust out the multimeter and see what's what.

BTW, if you can figure out how to get that Vaio to boot from compact flash (it has a PCMCIA slot) or the onboard memory stick, it would make a sweet diskless networked media player with mythtv.

Morpheus256 said:
well, like i mentioned if you do a pin count on yours, and then that on ebay, youll see that the sony has a lot more pins then the DFP, im presuming it could be DFP + power, but then it could also be something sony made, and power

Also remember audio comes through the DFP as well...

Back