Help me get this old box folding

CyberSlave

[H]ard|Gawd
I have mentioned before (yesterday i think) that I have an old box (400mhz) sitting under my feet.
Doing nothing.
It has no HD or CD.
I have an old old (small) HD sitting next to it,212mb size.
If I yank a CD drive from my server box, could I use this old drive to fold? As in install some kind of base OS, just to fold.
I don't wanna have to run the bladless since I need the CD drive, and have no money to get new parts.

basic linux install and call it good.
basic 98 install and call it good.

either will work fine for folding, and run off that drive no issues.
linux > win98 as far as stability is concerned... so if you want it to run and be able to ignore it, you'd best go linux. ... the windows client is about 15% faster (at least back in the 3.XX days... do any dual OS folders know if that is still right?)

Boot off a linux CD- Overfoldix, no hdd required.

Boot off a beefier linux CD- Overclockix, make use of the hdd for a swap partiion and a persistent home

No installation required, HDD optional. Just boot and it'll fold, run a command so you can restart folding and reset the userID and team #.

Windows client is faster than linux client at Tinker work units. Linux client is on par with Windows client for Gromacs.

I'll look into that.

But I may have found some drives for almost free from a guy in my gameing clan.
A 10 and 20 gig for a WinXP Pro NFRS.
So I may wait to see what happens with that since I don't do console commands to well and suck hard at graphical linux and have not even tried text based.

But I did save this information.

Thanks for the help.

Would a Win 9x installation be faster than Win 2k or XP?

its dead :(
oh, well, a crap drive to test mod.

Just have to wait now for the drives from my buddy.

Back