Help Me get a digital camera <$500

DeViLdUdE

Gawd
I'm searching for a Point and Shoot camera that is compact so I can take it with me on a trip
this December.
My top choice right now is the Canon S500(5mp from newegg that is 350+ b4 shipping)
I'll be buyin that with a gig of sandisk II CF I card.

So if you guys have any other recommendations (better camera than my top choice) Link me up
Thanks!

get an extra battery (or two). You will need them. Canon batteries are a bit expensive though :(

S500 is probably good, i have an S100, and they've only improved since then.
A gig card will be good. Don't bother with ultra2 unless its only a little more $, the standard cards are fine.

So after reading some reviews and finding the most feature rich (I only searched canon cams) digital camera I decided to get
Canon PowerShot SD300 4MP
Instead of Canon PowerShot S500 5MP . I know It's 1 less megapixel but the features& technology of it a lot more advanced than the S500.

This might help the other guy too who was looking at the same brand(CANON).

And so I believe SD300 4mp> S500 5mp

Let me add, if you guys still have a diff camera to recommend which you think is > Canon SD300 let me know

Thanks

SD300 is smaller than the S500's. Uses SD memory instead of CF.

The sensor is smaller too, this means NOISIER pictures/worse quality.
The battery is smaller - doesnt last as long.

If you want a "good" camera, you should be looking at S400/S500 or LARGER(Like the S60/S70).

I think you would be happier with the S500 or S60. The only thing the SD300 has going for it is "small". Why bother with that then? The SD20 is even smaller and comes in trendy colors.

"advanced features" - the main feature is how well it takes pictures, that should be your primary consideration.

ambientZ said:
SD300 is smaller than the S500's. Uses SD memory instead of CF.

The sensor is smaller too, this means NOISIER pictures/worse quality.
The battery is smaller - doesnt last as long.

If you want a "good" camera, you should be looking at S400/S500 or LARGER(Like the S60/S70).

I think you would be happier with the S500 or S60. The only thing the SD300 has going for it is "small". Why bother with that then? The SD20 is even smaller and comes in trendy colors.

"advanced features" - the main feature is how well it takes pictures, that should be your primary consideration.

I agree. The sd300 has a smaller sensor (more noise less detail). Slower shutter (1/1500 as opposed to the s500's 1/2000). Doesn't take standard CF memory, Also it is 1 MP smaller.

Back