Help me find a UTM

Concentric

[H]ard|Gawd
Next year i'm going to be living in a shared house with 5-6 other students and want to start thinking about the networking infrastructure that i'll no-doubt be in charge of.

I'd like to go with a UTM so that i can also try using thinks like virus filtering and QoS on top of the firewall tasks. The more features and things for me to mess with the better, but these are the most important i can think of at the moment.
Oh, and multi-WAN support would be a bonus (don't ask) if any support it.

So far i know of Endian and Untangle - I will probably try both but i'm wondering what you people think of them and whether there are any others you can think of?
I know Untangle doesn't yet support multi-WAN, but does Endian?

Thanks in advance.

I would reccomend IPCop, you can connect as many blue interfaces (access points) to it as you have spare nics.

I would reccomend IPCop, you can connect as many blue interfaces (access points) to it as you have spare nics.

Another vote for IPCop. Runs very stable and doesn't require a beefy machine, however for the items you wish to run a beefy computer wouldn't hurt.

I have ran IPCop for almost 5 years now. Still going strong.

I take it you mean with lots of addons attached? IPCop alone isn't a UTM AFAIK?

Top choice..

www.untangle.com

Second choice...

www.endian.it

Third choice....IPCop..which..BTW, is not an UTM appliance until you add the Copfilter add-on.

I've done them all...Untangle is contemporary, VERY rich in features...has IMO quite a bit more than the other two..which are getting quite dated by now. but it does require a bit of horsepower to run on.

Ok and does it do things like cache web pages (like a proxy cache)?
And is there a development roadmap on the untangle site, i can't seem to find one?

By WAN, do you mean wide area network or wifi?
Because if anyone knows of out-of-the-box router software that supports multiple wans (internet connections) i will install it today.

Beyond that, IPCOP is great. Install copfilter like said, but id also enable snort.

I meant Wide Area Network - i would have said WLAN for wireless.

Thanks for the replies, i think i'll try all of them and see which i prefer.

Back