Help me find a solution

wileycat

2[H]4U
Admitedly, I have an old computer, but I don't think the specs are THAT bad. But the problems I've been having recently only seem to apply to newer games. More specifically, when I play either BF2 or Civ 4 I will get random lock up where the last maybe half second of sound goes on infinite loop and I can't control anything. I have had times with both games where I got a couple of hours worth of play even before it locked up or crashed and rebooted. However I am able to play Civ 3, BF 1942, both Fallout games all to my heart's content. I have the minimum requirements for BF2 and Civ 4 and I have updated all of my drivers. Exact specs follow:

Athlon XP 1800+
Abit NF7-2 motherboard
1 GB RAM PC 2700
ATI Radeon 9500 128mb
80GB HD
Windows XP SP2
Catalyst 5.10

Thanks for the help!

Sounds like a tempurature problem. If you're getting a couple hours worth of play before it locks up then your specs should be fine. What's your cooling situation?

I have one of those uber-popular Antec cases. I have two 80mm blowing in from the front, two in the back as exhaust. I have an Alpha heatsink with an 80mm fan too. Personally I don't think cooling is a problem. I'm just about to run memtest86 right now, I'll be back and post the results. Thanks for your help sc00ter

Well, I just finished the memory test but that said everything is fine. Anyone else have any suggestions?

AFAIK it's doing ok. 350w Antec PSU, about 3 or 4 years old. Like I said though I can play for hours and hours on fallout or civ 3 or just let the computer run. It's only when I play these newer games that I get a crash.

Back