Help me find a KVM

I need a KVM for a secondary Linux rig. I'm looking for suggestions, preferably something you own or otherwise have personal experience with.

Here is what I am looking for...

KVM switch with no cables. All the KVM's I see on the market have integrated cables and that is not needed.
I only need 2 ports (but will entertain a maximum of 4 ports for future expansion)
Must have USB ports for mouse & keyboard
Must have DVI output (video out from KVM to monitor).
As for video input, DVI is fine as well, maybe DVI & HDMI or DVI and VGA.

Thanks!

I'd almost say use your current keyboard, monitor, and mouse to build and install the os on machine, and use SSH/VNC to remote to it for anything you need to do on it, then dealing with a KVM. If you really aren't doing anything fancy, use a hypervisor, and then install linux on that, and you can use the terminal on your hypervisor.

I'd almost say use your current keyboard, monitor, and mouse to build and install the os on machine, and use SSH/VNC to remote to it for anything you need to do on it, then dealing with a KVM. If you really aren't doing anything fancy, use a hypervisor, and then install linux on that, and you can use the terminal on your hypervisor.

Yes, that would work, however this will be a "daily use" machine.
Yes, I will be using the command line as it is Linux after all, but making use of the GUI is also a large part of the project, especially for app's.

Therefore I would prefer a KVM.
I don't have a lot of room right now in my apartment. Though I may have to figure out a way to make room for a 2nd monitor if I cannot find a solid KVM at an affordable price (less than a 2nd monitor will cost).

Thanks.

Yes, I will be using the command line as it is Linux after all, but making use of the GUI is also a large part of the project, especially for app's.

That's why I also recommended using VNC. It's not the best thing, but it can be fairly smooth on a LAN. There is also ways to RDP to a Linux Desktop, but i've never used it.

As for KVMs, there really isn't much out there for what you are looking for, most are either fairly expensive, or have cables. Generally setup for more then 2 computers too, although there are some that are just for 2. Here's everything that Newegg has for DVI KVM's with USB.

Nevermind. Problem solved!

I managed to pick up a Dell 19" tonight for $35 cash, and made room it on my work table.
I will fore-go the KVM due to price.

Back