Help me find a good Counterstrike/Visual Basic 6 laptop

xyoufailmex

Limp Gawd
Needing one for college, and Id like it to play Counterstrike as well seeing as how its a hobby of ours to get together and play in the morning. I dont have a whole lot to spend, but Im wanting to know what my best bet here is... I dont care about running them on Max settings... I just want the experience... I have the rig below for HDR'ing....

Exactly how much is "not much to spend"? That would allow me to better point you in the right direction.

doesn't sound like you need much. Almost any laptop with at least Intel Extreme Graphics level performance or better would work for CS and VB6.

Did you have any other requirements like battery life, weight, screen size, budget, etc?

Battery life... 2 hours would be fine.... not really important... Im considering finding one used.... If I could only spend 700 or 800 thatd be great... Like I said, I will only use it for those two things, and I dont care about how great it is... I just want a smooth CS gaming laptop.... thats all. I wonder what specs I should go with minimally..

Scratch that about any intel extreme graphics and CS. IEG2 might be playble but the old IEG isn't at any resolution over 640x480 in CS.

Asus M6BNe

1.8GHz Dothan 2MB L2 Cache
1024MB Ram
80GB 5400RPM 8MB Cache drive
8x DVD Burner
Radeon9700 Pro video 64MB
intelpro 2200BG WLAN card

i have a slower version of the laptop and can play Counterstrike source with no problems, i can play games for 3.2hrs off battery (tested with Age of mythology)

or you can get

Compal CL56
1.8GHz Dothan
1024MB Ram
80GB HDD
8xDVD Burner
Radeon 9700 pro 128MB ram
intel pro 2200BG

the battery on this one is about 2.5hrs but is faster

Im sorry, I misguided you all...

Not CS:S... Counterstrike... maybe some BF1942... the classic LAN games... Alot of people play in the library throughout the day at the university, and Id like to take part, other than at our LAN parties where we all use our monster rigs

Well... my friend is playing CS Source (yes I know you have CS 1.6) on a intel integrated lappy with either 16 or 32mbs at 640x400. So I would assume cs 1.6 would play ok on 800x600.

Now, Bf1942? You'd want something beefier to play that. BF runs fine on my 9600... not sure about slower cards.

You will want something with at least a mobility 9600 in it. BF1942 did not run that great on my geforce fx 5200go. The compal or asus listed above would definately be something of interest to you I would believe.

I am also going to recomend the Asus i have it and love it, here is a copy and paste of what i recomended the other day to a thread a page or 2 back for a guy looking for a laptop and was going to bestbuy to get one.

unless you know someone who has one i doubt your going to be able to get a hands on trial of an Asus, but i love mine, i had a Sager desktop replacement but hated the fact that i would get about 45 minutes battery life, so i ended up getting the asus M6BNe its not too heavy, gets ~4h battery life and has great performance. definatly something to look into

Asus Product Link

Users review at Notebookforums.com

cnet user reviews

Awesome, Asus looks like a contender..

And actually I do have CS:S, just anything less than a 6800GT puts that game to shame

Back