Help me find a cable converter...

Kuyt

Gawd
Just realized that the Freezer 64 Pro I bought for my AV8 had a 4 pin PWM header (female), that my mobo and psu didn't support. Anyone know where I can find a converter, for it to be 3 pin or maybe to a molex?

EDIT: Sticking it to a 3-pin doesn't work, since my motherboard has capacitators blocking it. I need a converter ASAP.

You can just plug it into a normal 3-pin header, but you'll lose PWM control so it always runs at 12v (but then this would happen with a converter too). TBH the fan is fairly loud at full whack (I have a Freezer 7 for backup cooling).

just plug it straight into a 3 pin header...

its just like when you plug a 3 pin plug into a 4 pin socket...

cop what? the link ^^?

i would be surprised if your mobo didn't have a 4 pin socket, as the stock intel HSF is a 4 pin...

you will lose PWM any way that you do it, but if you just plug it into a 3 pin socket, you'll be fine. If you can't get an adaptor, why not just use a 3pin extender, cut off the outside of the male connector and stick the 4 pin onto that?, you'd only have to cut off the outside of the connector if you didn't get one like the one linked to... it would work, and you would have power to your HSF

That would work, but it won't give you PWM control. It has to have the 4th wire plugged in for that. But it will let your motherboard know what RPM the fan is running at.

Thanks. And also, do you know the cheapest place I can get a 3 pin or 4 pin (converter) male/female cable? I've seen it far cheaper than that link to sidewinder.

If you have a Micro Center near you order an extender for pickup and save yourself the cost of shipping for such a small item.

http://www.xpcgear.com/3to4pinycabw.html

That would work right, and would it also give me PWM control?

This won't do anything more than what the standard 3-pin fan connector already gives you. On a 3-pin fan connector:

Black wire / pin: ground
1st Yellow wire / pin: +12V DC (for power)
2nd Yellow wire / pin: Fan speed sensor

That adapter you linked to is so you can use high powered fans with standard 4-pin molex power connectors instead of the 3-pin fan header(s) on your motherboard and blowing those headers out. That yellow wire that connects to the 3-pin fan header is only getting what you normally get with the 3-pin fan header: the fan speed sensor.

You won't get any PWM functionality either with that adapter you linked to. There's no way to get PWM functionality from a 3-pin fan header.

Back