• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me figure out what's wrong

rage4order

Gawd
Joined
Oct 4, 2004
Messages
795
So, my son spilled a drink on their computer and now it doesn't turn on. I did unplug it and let it fully dry out, so now I need help figuring out what might have gone bad since I don't have spare parts to swap out and troubleshoot. All that happens when I turn it on is this- all the fans turn on(case, cpu, psu and gpu), the power LED turns on, but I get nothing else- not one beep or anything trying to boot up. My first instinct tells my my cpu got fried. Anyone have any ideas?
 
Could be anything attached to the motherboard, or the motherboard itself. Unless the liquid residue is clearly visible, you're going to have trouble tracing where it went.

This is why I never recommend cases with top fans. They add lots of airflow, but leave you open to stupid klutz moments like this. Everyone has them :D

You're going to have to buy some spares to troubleshoot things, or just toss and start over. I mean, you could try a single stick of ram at a time in different slots, but that's about it. You need the CPU and motherboard to boot.

EDIT:

You can start over for $80 with this Haswell clearance:

Amazon.com: Gigabyte LGA 1150 Intel H81 USB3.0/SATA 6Gbs HDMI Dual UEFI BIOS mATX Motherboard GA-H81M-H: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Intel Celeron G1820 Processor 2.7GHz 5.0GT/s 2MB LGA 1150 CPU BX80646G1820: Computers & Accessories

From there you can test if the ram and GPU still work. If the parts break your new motherboard/CPU, Amazon will replace them. I think this is the cheapest you will get out of this bind without seriously sacrificing performance.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That's kinda what I was afraid of- having to try to troubleshoot by replacing parts. I will admit, this gave me a reason to upgrade MY computer and just give them mine. I might just chalk it up to a loss. Thanks for the input. BTW, upgrading the rig in my sig to a i5 4690K with a 970 gpu. :happy:
 
Back
Top