Help me figure out my smartphone options.

Kulith

Limp Gawd
I don't know much about cell phone plans or carrier frequencies etc so bear with me. Basically, right now I'm on my family's at&t plan with a regular dumb-phone. I think it only costs my family $9.99/mo for my extra line.

Ideally, what I want is an unlocked android smartphone that I could use in Europe as well as in the us with my family's. How would I do this, and what are my smartphone options? And how much would it cost to add the phone to my family plan? Please explain for a dummy :(

Alternatively, should I wait for some sort of pay as you go android? Are there better things coming out later this year? I'm pretty patient.

Lastly, the easy option would be to get a Captivate for $199 with contract on my family's plan, but I feel like a sucker if I did that. And thats no good in Europe afaik...?

Last edited:
AT&T phones are fine for use in Europe, and the Galaxy S phones are amazing (I have a Vibrant on TMo).

-bZj

You could get the Canadian HTC Legend, which sells for $375 Canadian with one-month Virgin Mobile term. The Legend has the same 3G frequencies as AT&T.

Yyou can try the T-Mobile Vibrant, which has 1900MHz 3G (AT&T uses that and 850), and I believe that AT&T doesn't force you to have a special plan with that. Personally, I would get the version of the Galaxy S that works best for you.

I would also go for some galaxy s variant. The screens are beautiful. It is fast and smooth. I had an htc evo and I sold it for the epic 4g. I love it. Fast, responsive, and powerful. I payed 500 for mine and have no regrets.

Back