• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me do this.....please. It should be easy.

magoo

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
14,700
Ok.....gonna build a new box.
Got the current 80GB hard drive with OS, not partitioned.
Got a new 250GB HD.
Will have to format one drive or the other for the new MB with the OS.
Options as I see them:
Copy 80GB to 250GB drive, reformat the 80GB drive to be the drive with OS.
Format the 250 GB drive fresh and put the 80 GB drive in as a secondary or slave.That seems easier to me.....BUT.....wont the OS on the 80GB drive conflict when I boot up????or will assigning the 250 Drive as the primary drive elimanate that problem????
OR.....can I somehow "selectively" get rid of the OS on the 80GB drive......

Thanks in advance.....and go slow with me cuz I've never tried to do this kind of shuffle before.
 
You can do whatever it is you'd like. You don't state what your goal is; do you want to use both drives in your new machine? Do you prefer to have one or the other as the OS drive? Do you need to bring up the new machine and move data from the old machine to it?

Indeed, your BIOS should let you choose which drive you'll boot.
 
if you install the OS on the new 250GB drive, you can boot into it and access the data on the other drive, then format the 80GB drive. That's one way to do it.
 
Thanks guys. What I want to do is somehow format the new drive and load everything off the old one thats important, then reformat the old one to use in folding in an old box.

Ive never really had to move old data before, Ive just reformatted and loaded drivers then reloaded anything I needed by DL or disc. This time I cant do that,cuz Ive got too much stuff.

What I'm hearing is: format the new drive(250GB), use it as the boot drive, connect the old drive and transfer files.

I just need some reassurance that the OS on the old drive wont conflict with the new drive.
After that its just cut and paste, correct????

Thanks again for your help.
 
the OS on the old drive won't conflict with the OS on the new drive as long as you change the boot order in your BIOS to look at your new drive first.

after that, you're right, it's all just a matter of copy and pasting, as long as you didn't use windows and NTFS to encrypt any of your data.
 
Thanks again.
I didnt think it was going to be too hard, but Im glad I asked for help. :D
 
Back
Top