Help me determine why my network is slow...

chockomonkey

[H]F Junkie
I have 6 computers set up on a manually configured network. The problem i have (which makes no sense to me) is that, while the entire network works fine, when i try to access a download folder on two of the machines, it seriously takes like 20 seconds to show the contents of the folder. I don't think it is the speed of the computers, as one is new and one is old. :confused:

Has anyone had this kinda wierdness before? What kinda information do you want from me?

Post up your network hardware. First thing I would point to is the possibility of packet collisions from using something like a hub

I have a websever that shares files accross my network and that happens occasionally. Once I access it once, then next time it is quickly viewable. it might be a cash issue, but I just assumed becaues the file list I was trying to see was 200-300 files strong that it took time to show it.
Plus if you are using the same router (which I am) for your internet for all pcs, then it is sharing that bandwidth as well.

Post up your network hardware. First thing I would point to is the possibility of packet collisions from using something like a hub

Hmm... i do have a switch that has the two computers with the problem on it. The switch plugs into the main router.

If it is packet collision becuase of my switch, what can i do about that?

Back