• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

help me determine the culprit

blix9

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
113
Okay, let's see if I can explain this well. It is kinda long story.
Symptoms...
It is about 2 year old problem that did not really give me much trouble but was annoying when it happened. It's kinda hard to explain because the symptoms changed over the period. It started off as random reboot when it first happened. Random reboot anytime the machine was on. Now it only happens when someone accidently turns off the running machine by pressing the power button and I have to tell you that it happend quite a few times for the past few years in my room accidently. If I reboot the machine right after this happens it will go to blank screen and the hard drive will run continously for about a minute with brightly lit hard drive LED before it POSTs and then it starts up and loads the windows(XP Pro). When finally the welcome screen appears it will shortly( or if I move my mouse to click the user icon on the screen) reboot itself and goes back to blank screen and does the whole thing again. And sometimes the welcome screen is shown kinda incomplete(the blue background looks okay but user icon is missing)

To avoid this repeating reboot, I have to leave the machine off for at least an hour and wait. After that I can turn it back on and everything seems to run okay.

I was going to build the new PC but I have decided to be done with my current PC by replacing the necessary parts. Before that I have to make sure the component I think is acting up is really the culprit here. I think the problem lies in either or both PSU(Antec TruePower 430)I the hard drive(Maxtor 60Gig Ultra ATA). Both are about 3 years old now.
The thing is I don't really have a very good reason to point out these 2 specific parts here. In other words, I am not sure. It's more like an hunch.
At first I thought it was something overheating. Maybe CPU since it works fine after I wait a while. However, it happened even when the machine was idle and doing nothing and the temp never went up to worrying level.

I hope I explained everything properly. What do you guys think? I understand that blaming the 2 components I mentioned above is rather stupid assumption and some other parts could be the culprit.

Thanks for any help.

-AMD XP 1800 -Abit NV7-133R -512 meg, 512( 2x256) Xtreme DDR 2700
-Leadtek Ti 4400 128MB -Maxtor 60gig ATA133
-Asus DVD 16x -NEC 16X DVD Writer
-Win XP pro -Antec TruPower 480W PSU -Antec 1030B case
-nothing overclocked
 
Back
Top