I need your help in designing a *professional class graphics work station. My friend, who designs the graphics for State of Alaska interpretive signs, wishes to do the same type of work at home that she does at work. I've seen her work, and it is indeed professional.
Demands for the system:
1) Adobe Creative Suite, full edition (all the bells and whistles, which she uses)
2) ability to process huge tiff files with superbly accurate colors and geometry
3) and yes, typical PC type activities (easy stuff, no big deal)
Gaming/3D graphics is irrelevant. Mass storage, apart from her 1TB drive, for now, is not important. I can always upgrade that for her later, if she needs it.
*Budget. Alas, she's one of those users who is a wizard with software but doesn't know beans about hardware. She had thought her old home system, a Core 2 Q6600, GTX 8800 system would crunch through the same graphics processing challenges that her workplace computer does. The point is, she's spent most of her free cash on a car, and has little left for a new computer. Her budget is going to be about $2000. The only hardware I can re-use from her old computer is the hard drive, which is a fairly recent SATA 1TB drive. I don't believe anything else will be useful with the new build. She doesn't know Linux and I am not going to be a Linux instructor for her. I'm thinking Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell would serve her well.
So, what are we looking at - AMD Firepro graphics, I7 3770, 16GB DRAM? I'm open to all ideas. The key performance criteria revolves around 2-D graphics, professional quality. I don't know much about professional graphics processing - how much is CPU dependent, how much GPU/GPU accelerated, how much RAM, and so forth.
I'm looking to give her a shopping list and let her buy new components from Amazon or Newegg, that way, I'm not on the hook if her new system has a premature hardware component failure. (RMA hassle would be on her.) Help me spec out a system! I am not against a preconfigured system from HP or Dell, if the quality is there and the price is right. I am not partial to any brand name of computer or computer components.
$2000 for professional class. Yeah, go ahead and roll your eyes, but I promised I would assist her. She's the girlfriend of one of the best friends I've ever had.
Demands for the system:
1) Adobe Creative Suite, full edition (all the bells and whistles, which she uses)
2) ability to process huge tiff files with superbly accurate colors and geometry
3) and yes, typical PC type activities (easy stuff, no big deal)
Gaming/3D graphics is irrelevant. Mass storage, apart from her 1TB drive, for now, is not important. I can always upgrade that for her later, if she needs it.
*Budget. Alas, she's one of those users who is a wizard with software but doesn't know beans about hardware. She had thought her old home system, a Core 2 Q6600, GTX 8800 system would crunch through the same graphics processing challenges that her workplace computer does. The point is, she's spent most of her free cash on a car, and has little left for a new computer. Her budget is going to be about $2000. The only hardware I can re-use from her old computer is the hard drive, which is a fairly recent SATA 1TB drive. I don't believe anything else will be useful with the new build. She doesn't know Linux and I am not going to be a Linux instructor for her. I'm thinking Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell would serve her well.
So, what are we looking at - AMD Firepro graphics, I7 3770, 16GB DRAM? I'm open to all ideas. The key performance criteria revolves around 2-D graphics, professional quality. I don't know much about professional graphics processing - how much is CPU dependent, how much GPU/GPU accelerated, how much RAM, and so forth.
I'm looking to give her a shopping list and let her buy new components from Amazon or Newegg, that way, I'm not on the hook if her new system has a premature hardware component failure. (RMA hassle would be on her.) Help me spec out a system! I am not against a preconfigured system from HP or Dell, if the quality is there and the price is right. I am not partial to any brand name of computer or computer components.
$2000 for professional class. Yeah, go ahead and roll your eyes, but I promised I would assist her. She's the girlfriend of one of the best friends I've ever had.