Help Me Decide

arcturus

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys I've been out of the loop for awhile and need your advice.

I have 2 aging systems ... AMD 965BE cpu, the other a Q9550. Both have modest overclocks running Radeon HD 5850's on single, 24" monitors.

Is there any sense to stepping up to a better vid card or would I be bottlenecked by the cpu's?

If your 775 socket board is 2.0 pci express then I shouldn't in bandwidth but cpu bottleneck would be a different story .. if you tested it vs new chipsets in 3DMark or something just look at the gpu score and compare to see how close it is to newer chipsets with the some card as this would tell you if the card is bottlenecked by your platform.

If your 775 socket board is 2.0 pci express then I shouldn't in bandwidth but cpu bottleneck would be a different story .. if you tested it vs new chipsets in 3DMark or something just look at the gpu score and compare to see how close it is to newer chipsets with the some card as this would tell you if the card is bottlenecked by your platform.

Thanks but since I don't have, nor intend, to get a newer board/chipset/cpu how can this be determined?

Maybe I should be more specific ... would a HD 7870 be bottlenecked by the cpu's?

Just look at what others score with the same benchmark , since you decide to say HD7870 then look around the web to see what someone ran with that card on a 775 socket vs newer system with same card.. look at gpu score.

but a HD7870 is = to a 6950 to 70 then I say no it will no bottleneck it much.

Back