Help me decide

merlin87

Gawd
I wanted to go with a simple setup and just OC a e6400 to about 3.3ghz or even just 3.0ghz. I dont know which motherboard to choose. I can get a REALLY CHEAP price on the P5n32-SLI premium wifi. Or I can get the P5n-e 650i, or evga's 680i. The rest of the system will consist of 2 7800gtx 512mb and 2gb of corsair.

Would I miss out on anything if I went with the P5N32-Sli premium wifi over the 650i and 680i? There are so many to choose from and I dont necessarily need top end stuff, but I can get discounts on the nVidia stuff. What would be the main reason to choose one over the other? This would be used mainly for gaming.

The Asus P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi uses the nVidia 590i chipset that overclocks really bad. The 590i chipset was, as far as I'm concerned, an interrim solution for nVidia so that they had something to show off until the 600i series chipsets were ready.

Bottomline: With the P5N32-SLi you'll miss out oon your overclock...

For 680i chipset boards you could take a look at the Asus P5N32-E/SLi, it might be cheaper that EVGAs 680i.

check the review of the asus p5n-e-sli with the nforce 650i chip set .

it should give you enough over clocking room and has most of the features of the expensive 680's.:eek: :cool:

Yeah I have read the review. I was mainly just waiting for the bios to be released. Seems they are shipping with an older bios and people have a hard time locating the bios that [H] used in the review. Another thing was I wanted to wait to see if any other manufactures would release a board with the 650i chipset. I just want to make the right decision so I'm not stuck with something that I will be unhappy with.

I have seen some good OC with the 590 chipset, but I dont want to struggle to OC. Hopefully more 650i boards will come out in the next month or so. It really is the chipset I was planning on getting.

asus is coming out with a new 965 board called the "commando", part of the rog series. it will have 2 16 lane pcie slots (8 lane each in crossfire) it sounds really great, but when you use it you cannot be wearing any underwear.

sorry man, i missed the part about you having 2 nvid cards. they will probably work, btw, but only with older drivers, and unsupported by intel or nvidia. anyway, the the evga 680i a shot ( i have had 2, both flawless) or the asus 650i board, or the asus 680i (non- striker) board. at least with the 600 series asus boards you can wear underwear.

Back