Help Me decide.

Reagent

Limp Gawd
Building a new system, SLI ready opty 165 2gb ram etc.

Running out of cash.

Do I buy...

Decide to upgrade later in the year when the new stuff comes out and get:

2x6800GS for about 350 bucks
2x7600gt for about 410 bucks

Or buy 1 card and upgrade later with a 2nd of the same card and forget about what is comming out at the end of the year?

1x7900GT 300'ish
1x7900GTX 550ish

just get one card.. then upgrade that card in the future and sell the current card on ebay. Until more of the games support SLI I dont see a reason to waste the cash... From the stats - many of the games actually run slower with SLI..

The technology in video cards changes so fast it's like flushing your money down the toilet twice by getting 2 cards.

partybob99 said:
just get one card.. then upgrade that card in the future and sell the current card on ebay. Until more of the games support SLI I dont see a reason to waste the cash... From the stats - many of the games actually run slower with SLI..

The technology in video cards changes so fast it's like flushing your money down the toilet twice by getting 2 cards.

Actually, almost every new game gets a boost from SLI, sometimes a dramatic boost, if you're running at say 1600x1200 or above with 4aa or above.

SLI really makes a huge difference in some games. F.E.A.R. and CoD2 are two games that I play where the diffrence is dramatic at 1600x1200 and 4aa.

What to buy is of course cash vs what do you want to play and what resolutions and detail settings.

My suggestion is that if you want to save money and not go SLI, then I would suggest that you stay with a 19" montior at 1280x1024. The reason I mention this is that I think that monitor resolution is critical to the the right GPU choice. Don't pair a 1680x1050 widescreen or a 1600x1200 fullscreen monitor with a single 7900gt for instance. Those resolutions start to benefit from SLI, and it makes sense to go with a lower resolution, at least for gamming. Of course you can always game at lower resolutions anyway, just more fuzziness.

My 2 cents.

I am using a 19" CRT ATM. MY 21" trinitron died.

I will be using a Widescreen LCD or another 21" trinitron i the future.

The machine is only for games and the net... no work going on it.

Back