Help me decide Wii U

Hey gamers, need some help deciding what to do here. I have a PS4 Xbox1 and classic Wii. I like the Wii U, it has some really fun games for it. And best thing my son loves it (borrowed my brothers for a couple days) the games are easy for him to play and having the stand alone gamepad is awesome so I can still use the TV for what I want most of the time.

My xbox1 basically is used for nothing more than a blu-ray player at this point since any new mainstream game I buy is for the Ps4. I was contemplating just hauling it to gamestop and taking the $175 I would get for the unit and the games/controller I have and grabbing the Wii U.

Stupid to do now with the NX coming sometime in the next 6-12mos? I just fear that with the NX, even if it's neat, it'll be so long before it has the games at the Wii U has already available. Also, if I wait too long my xbox1 will be worth like $40 with the scorpio or whatever the xbox 1.5 is being called.

Feed me your thoughts. thanks!

Just wait. With all the consoles and options you have the Wii U doesn't make sense unless there are some games you absolutely need. Also, the NX won't be backwards compatible with Wii U games so remember that. If the appeal of the Wii U is the gamepad then I would just get your son his own TV. lol

If you don't use your XBox, you're not really losing out, and in exchange you're getting something cheaply that will provide you with a lot of fun. (and your son) IMO the best combos of this "cycle" would be either PS4 + Wii U, PC + Wii U, or XBOne + Wii U. It's basically the best complementary system to any of those three. The games are completely different from what's available anywhere else. Plus, even though there aren't a ton of new games, all of the excellent games that ARE on it, are new to you. I think you'll get a lot of mileage out of that, provided you and your son enjoy Nintendo's games. My Wii U is in use most days in our house. I play it quite a bit, and my kids play it even more.

As far as the NX, it won't be available for a bit, and there's nothing that says you can't get one if you already have the Wii U. Maybe hand off the U to your son when the NX drops. Anyway, the library on the Wii U isn't the biggest in history, but what's there is top notch. I'd definitely recommend it. I'm sure others' opinions will vary widely, but it's actually been a great console, and I have zero regrets in owning one.

As far as the game pad goes, it's great! For games that use it for inventory management, maps, etc. it's really cool. Even as just another screen to play on when the TV is used for other things is great.

Thanks for the replies! even tho it's one of each lol. I would setup the kiddle with his own TV, but he's still be stuck with xbox1 that has basically nothing he can really play, it was more a console for me for when I didn't want to sit at the computer (primary pc gamer), but found more games I was interested in for the PS4 so I waited for a good deal on that and jumped on it, thus the Xbox1 is collecting dust as just a blu-ray player. Might as well get something for it now, before it's worth nothing.

And good point that there's no reason I couldn't just upgrade to the NX sometime down the road, I doubt there's going to be any major releases that will be a must have for me for probably the first year or two of the NX anyhows. Kinda like the Wii U, it didn't appeal to me much at launch, but now that's it's been out for so long there is a nice collection of games for it. Doesn't nintendo usually do a couple dual release games for a while as their new system rolls out? I thought they did that with the gamecube and the Wii?

They're doing that with the new Zelda game. (like Twilight Princess for both the Gamecube and the Wii) Maybe others, but that's the only one confirmed.

Yeah, I say if you can get the Wii U for cheap using the XBone as a trade-in, go for it. With the NX coming out soon, I could see all of the Wii U games/accessories being liquidated for cheap.

And seeing how happy your little gaffer will be playing his Wii U is worth it.

My opinion, do it. I just bought one a month ago, and it was well worth it. Games are still readily available and at this point, there is a lot to choose from. I really don't see much point in owning both an XB and PS4 as most of the games are available on both, but Nintendo really has a standalone game set that you can't find anywhere else.

My suggestion is to buy refurbished. I got this deal that's still going on and it was wrapped and sealed like new, absolutely flawless. And dirt cheap. $225 for the system and a game (SM3DW - Nintendoland was a flop IMO, but maybe it'll be better with multi-player, or maybe your son would like it). Same warranty as a new unit too. Shop Nintendo | Nintendo Online Store

Plus, there's the promise of Zelda Breath of the Wild for it, so that (and Super Mario Maker) pushed me over the fence. I've been really happy with the decision.

Just note you'll probably only get about 15 feet out of the gamepad. You can't take it too far from the system itself.

I've seen some people say this about the game pad, and maybe it's true in some locations. However, I can take mine to the next floor up, and have a solid connection half-way across the house. I live in a somewhat urban/suburban area too with a lot of wifi signals. The one thing that does limit it for me though is whether the chimney in the center of the house is between the pad and the system. I don't know if the bricks are made of lead or what, but that will kill it dead. If I move around it though, it comes right back.

Weird. I just tried it in my office the other day, which is about 20 feet from the unit, albeit through a couple walls. It was really choppy and unplayable. Maybe it's the walls? Idanno. I live in a regular singe family house with regular wood stud/drywall walls.

Weird. I just tried it in my office the other day, which is about 20 feet from the unit, albeit through a couple walls. It was really choppy and unplayable. Maybe it's the walls? Idanno. I live in a regular singe family house with regular wood stud/drywall walls.

Ours is a 1923 craftsman style. Maybe signals go through plaster better than drywall, but I would think it would be the opposite. It does seem to have a better distance above/below than just straight out. Maybe it's the directional aspect of the antenna or something.

yeah, could likely be the antenna. I have my system tipped up on its side, crammed in a cabinet (open on 3 sides) low to the ground. Probably isn't helping lol

Anyway, sorry to get OT, OP. Let us know what you decide :)

I just a bought a Wii U a couple months ago, and am happy with the decision even with the NX coming out.

I bought a Wii-U at launch. I think i played Tekken the most on it, go figure. It is in my daughters room and Netflix is the main use for it at this point. Once in a while Mario Party or Mario Kart. We never use the thing for actual gaming anymore at this point.

Back