Help me decide the future of my network

rayman2k2

Supreme [H]ardness
Okay, so after my class ends (Calc III ftl) I want to do a network overhaul here. Basically, I'm going to be adding a file server, an HTPC as well as getting a new laptop with Wireless-N.

Since some media will be stored on the file server, I'm going to try and upgrade as much as I can at the moment to gigabit, but I really would like to add Wireless-N to my network initially - even if I get the laptop in two or three months. I have an Actiontec router that Verizon gave us with our FiOS install. It has Wireless-G. It's an okay router, the signal seems to be a little weak, but I think it is no stronger than the WRT54G that I had earlier. Now, I have a few options that I can do in terms of upgrading my network, but I can't decide which one to go with. The Actiontec router is required since I have FiOS TV as well

Option 1:
Actiontec router to gigabit switch, hook a Wireless-N access point to the Actiontec router

Option 2:
Bridge Actiontec router to a Linksys router with Wireless-N and Gigabit built in. But another gigabit switch since I wouldnt have enough connections

Option 3:
Turn a PC into a router/firewall/fileserver box, connect to gigabit switch which will connect to Actiontec router and Wireless-N access point

Having a seperate Wireless-N access point allows me to connect it to the network at another part of the house - allowing me to spread the signal much better in the house.

I like the idea of having a PC as a router/firewall but really dont want to choose this option since it will also have the file server built in - this wont be for security purposes but rather, I wanted to install Windows Home Server (yeah, I'm gonna try it on 2x 366mhz Celly's).

So what do you all recommend? Or do you have different configs of you own?

Back