• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me decide, please:)

pojut

Gawd
Joined
Dec 28, 2009
Messages
541
Fellow [H] folks, I once again humbly request your expertise and opinion. I'm looking for a step-up from my ATH-AD700s for a couple of reasons, but mainly because I want better bass response. The relevant info:

- I game a LOT. A good, defined soundstage is an absolute must (actual "width" isn't a concern, so much as directional definition and clarity.)
- For fun, I occasionally make Drone and Ambient tracks using Reason 5. This makes a defined soundstage doubly important, as well as the ability to take kindly to a flat EQ. (PM me if you're interested in hearing my tunes...free to listen to, free to download)
- As far as music listening is concerned, I mostly listen to ambient, drone, dubstep, jungle, and death metal.
- While I absolutely adore the clarity of my ATH-AD700s, their bass response is a bit lacking (in volume, not definition.) Hence, I'm looking for a closed-set.
- I have around $150, to spend, although I would prefer to actually keep it under $150 if possible. - I don't currently have a headphone amp, and although I may get one down the road, I have neither the funds or the plans to do so for a little while (another reason why I'd prefer to keep things under $150, to reduce the actual need for an amp.)
- Lastly, because I have 7/16" (000ga) tunnels in both of my earlobes, I absolutely DESPISE on-ear headphones. Circumaural 'phones only, please :)

Based on specs alone, I'm currently considering the Audio Technica ATH M50s . Anyone have any experience/thoughts/opinions with these ? Or, do you have something else to suggest in the $150 or less category? I know I'm not going to find a BIG step up from my AD700s for under $150, but better is still better! Thanks for your time!
 
Check out head-fi if you dont mind buying used. BeyerDynamic 770(a bit muddy compared to the AD700 but BASSSY) the 880 or 990s would possibly be around $150-190 range and would be killer sounding for what you like. The M50 is also a good buy. Just not quite on the same level of comfort or dynamics.
 
Got super lucky and sniped an auction on eBay for a set of refurbished DT770 Pro 80s...only $122! Got them from a small mom-n-pop audio repair shop out of Long Island. Not too many reviews, but all of them were super positive. Communication with the seller has been awesome...the 'phones were shipped out via UPS on Friday, and since I live in Maryland, I should have them sometime early next week. I'll let you all know what I think!

For anyone interested, this was the seller.
 
EEP! Today's my birthday, and they just arrived in the mail! Can't wait to try them out :)

202003_10150141524660989_606640988_6799029_679843_o.jpg
 
Be careful with the volume. Sealed headphones can get really loud. The sound will improve a bit over time. However, your AD700s will do better for details. The 770s are more like going to a movie theatre w/ big bass and echoes.
 
After just a couple of hours worth of break in, they already sound better. My AD700s took about 100 hours or so to reach their "final" sound, but they certainly didn't noticeably improve this quickly. Crysis 2 sounds INSANE with the DT770s!

Even as they sit now, I absolutely love their sonics...the amount of extra bass far outweighs any loss in clarity for me. Can't wait for them to be fully broken in! Also, for what it's worth, they sound great straight out of my soundcard (in sig), but I can tell how an amp would definitely help. That'll have to wait a little :)
 
Back
Top