• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me decide 480 or 5870

Joined
Jun 18, 2009
Messages
536
I'm not sure what to go with for a vga upgrade. I have 3 lcd's and am interested in surround/eyefinity but I'm not spending 700-1000 bucks for sli gtx 4 series in order to use 3 lcds.To be honest I'm not sure if I'll even like eyefinity. I tried out my friends 5770 but didnt have the dp to vga hookup so I could only use 2 lcds, and the crosshairs were in the middle in borderlands so save for batman aa I couldn't really try it out. Anyone have any advice? The card will be used in my sig system.

EDIT: On second thought, my mobo doesn't even have integrated gpu so could I even run three displays on a single 480?
 
No, you won't be able to run more than 2 monitors on any Nvidia GPU at this point. If you want 3x monitor support from one card then AMD is the only way to go.
 
if your wanting to go EyeFinity, I'd ditch the w2409 and pickup one of the new e-IPS dell 23" with native display port. Use the dell for your center and the two sammy TN's for the sides. At least then you'd keep the good screen in front of you.
 
As was mentioned you require SLI to run the Nvidia solution so the 5870 would be your only option and honestly I probably would have recommended it anyways.
 
Thanks guys I appreciate the input. Probably going to pick up that XFX HD-587X-ZNFV even though It'll clash with my mobo but I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it.
 
By the way I like the idea of the Dell E-IPS Native DP. That will eliminate any uncertainty with passive dp to vga AND give me a really nice screen in the middle. I'ma roll with that, yeah

EDIT: Problem, my 2048x1152 native sammy's look like sh*t in 1920x1080.
 
Last edited:
By the way I like the idea of the Dell E-IPS Native DP. That will eliminate any uncertainty with passive dp to vga AND give me a really nice screen in the middle. I'ma roll with that, yeah

EDIT: Problem, my 2048x1152 native sammy's look like sh*t in 1920x1080.

I wouldn't waste time trying to run monitors in non-native resolutions. Better to get an adapter, or sell all three and get those Dell e-IPS.

You could always get a pair of 465's for around $500ish, or two 5850's for $600ish.

I would want more than a single 5870 for 3 screens, let alone 3 screens at 1080p + some. You will be massively turning stuff down to keep good frames going.
 
Back
Top