Help me decide, 120hz (24" vs 27")

Hi everyone, looking for some help here.

I own an Asus vg236h, 120hz monitor with 3d kit.

Wich of these 2 monitors should i choose? Ill keep the 3d kit plus already ordered 3dvision2 glasses. Use for games, 3d and surfing, and movies if posible.

I have read a lot, and have came down to this 2 options:

VG278HE
http://usa.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VG278HE/

VG248QE
http://usa.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VG248QE/

Does the 27 vs 24 worth the price diference? Have read some problemd with 27 panels bleeding and color uniformity.

Does the 24 inch has lightboost 2 or is the same thing on both monitors? Asking cause both go to 144hz

Looking for good image quality without modding the screen(24 inch version)

Ty very much for any input and sugestions in my first post here

Yes, both of them have LightBoost -- which benefits both 2D and 3D.

If you do get 27", I'd say get the H over HE because there's better image quality on the VG278H than the VG278HE (less LCD inversion artifact -- checkerboard pixel pattern artifact)

The new 24" 1ms panels are among the best and lowest-input-lag monitors on the market from recent testing.

If you're set on getting a 120hz screen I would highly suggest BenQ instead. It seems the quality is bit better with the XL2420 and XL2720T.

Personally larger screens with better resolution are more immersive to me, so if you can i'd get the 27 personally.

Love my 27" 120hz... Just make sure you have the horsepower for it, I find myself turning up the AA as much as I can to combat the dot pitch.

I'm curious, xoleras, what have you heard/experienced about BenQ's 24/27" 120Hz quality that differentiates it from Asus? I remember reading that the XL2420 was capable of surprisingly good colors for a TN once calibrated, but since the new 27" version is likely sharing the same panel as the new-ish VG278H, I'm hoping it doesn't evince the same checkerboard artifact mentioned by Mark.

I'd appreciate any input, as after growing increasingly weary of the smeary motion and high input lag of my U2711, I'd love to grab an identically sized 27" panel (preferably with a similarly matte bezel/screen, which is why I have my eye on the new XL2720T) to run alongside my main "productivity" display. This would give me the best of both worlds, but unfortunately I'm running an AMD 7970, so no LightBoost for me just yet.

In my opinion TN panels are not good at all for everything except gaming. Keep in mind I do a lot of work on my PC in addition to gaming, so my context comes from that fact -I've used 120hz panels and like them for gaming and movies, but IPS panels will certainly look better for regular work and windows in terms of color, color accuracy, viewing angles, etc. I'm sure you're well aware of the issues with TN panels.

However, if you don't really care and just want to game - I don't know of anyone that has been disappointed by the BenQ model monitors. They're very nice for gaming and seeing stuff in motion. While monitor quality is highly variable due to shipping and fragile-ness, i've heard a ton of very strange issues with the asus models which would make me lean to BenQ if anything. BenQ also tends to get great consistent user reviews as well on all of the retailer sites.

In my opinion TN panels are not good at all for everything except gaming.

It's just this one arrow in TN's quiver that has piqued my interest enough to try a 120/144Hz display in addition to my existing IPS. I remember why I binned my TN and got an IPS in the first place, and I'd never return to the former in an either/or situation. But perhaps in a supplementary role. I hope the fluidity impresses even without LightBoost, or else I'll have wished I'd saved the money and put it towards a newer 27" or even 30" IPS/PLS. I don't play the twitchiest games, a little Battlefield 3, sure, but also some Skyrim and Starcraft II (never hear impressions of RTSes on 120Hz displays).

Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack this, I realize the original question was between two Asus 24/27" displays, but it looked like there's already been some helpful responses to the question at hand. I do wonder, though, why there's such a healthy price premium between the 24" and 27" sizes. There are economies of scale and all that, but at the same resolution, refresh, chassis design, etc. it does seem like quite a lot.

Hmm, its a roughly 100$ difference which is in line with other models. Also, if you haven't tried dual monitors, it's great - you could run your existing IPS for work with the 120hz screen for gaming.

Oh, well in my region (US), it's $175 difference ($290/465), representing a 60% price premium for around +27% total area, all features being equal. I guess that's not too terribly steep a diminished return, but either way, I still might consider the 27" or BenQ's XL2720T to run in portrait next to my IPS when it's not being used for games. I know TNs are usually a no-go in portrait, but if they're viewed downwards (so there's only the contrast loss) in normal landscape versus upwards (where you get that nasty photo-negative look) they tend to at least be useable. Anyone know how monitors with differing refresh rates work in tandem?

Yes, both of them have LightBoost -- which benefits both 2D and 3D.

If you do get 27", I'd say get the H over HE because there's better image quality on the VG278H than the VG278HE (less LCD inversion artifact -- checkerboard pixel pattern artifact)

The new 24" 1ms panels are among the best and lowest-input-lag monitors on the market from recent testing.

Thx for the input, i have read that the vg278he have some problems with the integrated 3d emitter(not working) and broken 3d vision wich im intend to use, does the current monitor still have those problemd?

If you're set on getting a 120hz screen I would highly suggest BenQ instead. It seems the quality is bit better with the XL2420 and XL2720T.

Personally larger screens with better resolution are more immersive to me, so if you can i'd get the 27 personally.

Have been reading today about those benq, but couldnt find any input about 3d ghosting. On the other side, from the asus ive heard good things about the 3d effect and big gosthing, from the firs gen monitors wich i have.

Does the BenQ present little to no gosthing like the asus version?, any experiences with benq and 3d vision? I know about the diference that makes lightboost but read time ago that the ghosting is usually better in the asus panels(vg278he) than the other lightboos monitors that were avaible that time.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, time an suggestion, i want to make a good decission and you ar helping me with it.:D

Back