Help me debug browser problem!?

woel

n00b
Hi,

I use Firefox at home and at work. At home I'm connected through cable broadband using a netgear router and cable modem. At work I'm not entirely sure what we use but there are a couple of mbit switches and an adsl link. Often when I click a link nothing happens except the browser waiting for a response. It seems that the problem is worse at home but I'm not completely sure. Is this a webserver problem, router problem or browser problem? It is very annoying having to click reload or a link several times just to get pages up. Not that it happens all the time but frequently enough to annoy me.

Thanks!

Is this the same computer that travels back 'n forth 'tween home and work (like a laptop?)

Are the PCs free from ad/spy/malware?
Low impact antivirus?
Any 3rd party software firewall?

DNS could be an issue. Although different ISPs (cable and DSL), so I"ll assume different DNS servers are being used. Possibly active directoy for DNS at the office...no details here.

No it is two different computers. One with ubuntu and one with xp. Not using any 3rd party firewall on the xp computer and avg free antivirus. I'm pretty sure that the problem is worse on my home computer with xp, might even be a lot worse but I haven't measured it.

Perhaps it is much more common these days that webservers fail to process requests?

The newer versions of AVG bog down your computer quite a bit, especially some option related to web browser protection. Try turning off that feature....I forget exactly where it is.

Also, for giggles, try manually setting your DNS on your home computer.....using OpenDNS.
http://www.opendns.com/

If those don't improve anything for you, you can simply reset your TCP/IP back to obtain auto, and it will receive the DNS servers the DHCP service hands it (most likely your ISPs DNS servers)

I don't want to suggest changing your DNS servers at the office....if you have a Windows server running Active Directory there..you must use it for your DNS, changing that to something else like your ISPs or OpenDNS will break your active directory login.

Thanks! Hopefully this will help me find a solution. I will also receive a new router soon. Possibly that might improve things also.

It seems that opendns improves things. Regarding the router I still wanted a new one because of other problems. New firmware hasn't been released in years.

Back