help me choose

intense

n00b
Joined
Dec 27, 2002
Messages
19
I have an old AMD K6 system that needs a new power supply, I have 2 hard drives and 2 optical drives and ofcourse a floppy. It has a generic 250 ps in it now, what would be a good choice for this system?

Thanks
intense
 
well the HiQ brand is the truely cheap seats
an upgrade doesnt necessarilly mean in watts
you might go for the FSP300-60PN instead $29

youd be nowhere near 300 watts actually employed on that config
so the increase in watts isnt called for
however you might want to employ this supply as a crosspart test supply elsewhere
in which case think about what it might eventually be powering ;)
 
My K6-2 system has 1 HD, 1 FD, 1 CD-RW, and an Intel 740i AGP card that probably uses almost no power, and it never measured over about 60W. So I'd be very surprised if your K6-2 system ever consumes over 100W.

Fry's currently has a case w/ 400W no-name PSU for $20 after rebate, but I'd much rather either wait for an Antec to go on sale again (usually $15-25, 300-350W, with or without case) or order one of those Hi-Q/PowerQ/Sparkle/Fortron PSUs from NewEgg.
 
Back
Top