help me choose parts for sff htpc!

I used an 8200 board with a 4850e in my main HTPC for nearly a year (Asus) and replaced it with an Asus P5N7A-VM 9300 board and scavenged the e5200 dual core from my gaming rig and the 9300 definitely does a better job with video decoding quality than the 8200.

I was going to get an Ion dual-core for another room in my house, but I just purchased a Gateway 1435u, SU2300 based CULV laptop for myself instead because I felt it was a higher priority. Just got it today. Great timing as they released the Flash beta this week and my new laptop has a 4500MHD gpu... We'll see how it does. I may still get the Ion, just to have a full blown netbox type machine for use by guests or in a pinch, but it's now more likely that I'll use one of the cheaper Atom or Ion boards as a file server/torrent box on my home network for now and possibly just use the sub-$100 media servers for the smaller rooms in my house in the future instead.

Liliputing has a nice video comparison of before and after the 10.1 beta playing HD Hulu and 1080p Youtube videos on a dual-core Asrock Atom 330/Ion machine here:

http://www.liliputing.com/2009/11/adobe-flash-player-10-1-beta-with-gpu-acceleration-arrives.html

The results are dramatically better with the beta--especially for the Youtube 1080p clip.

Last edited:
just to chime in i have an Asus EEE 1000HE with the 280 1.6 with HT atom and it chokes on higher bitrate 720p content, even using CoreAVC and media player classic HD under windows 7.

Back