Help me choose new Case Fans

The 4.5 year old case fans (5 of them) in my current case are becoming increasingly loud and now my computer is starting to sound like a truck. I probably have a higher tolerance for fan noise than most people, but the occasional buzzing and rattling sounds are getting out of control. So, it's probably time for me to get some new case fans. Obviously, I'd prefer fans that push the most air for the least amount of noise (while being reasonably priced and long-term reliable).

Here are 6 that looked interesting in terms of the total cost for 5 with local pickup or shipping:

Xigmatek XSF-F8251, $22.5, 29.5 / 21 db

Red Evercool SFF-8, $24.26, 32.5 CFM / 20 db

Cooler Master ST2, $25, 29 CFM / 21 db

Enermax Marathon, $29.26, 24 CFM / 14 db

Enermax TB Silence, $45, 47.5 CFM / 15 db

CoolJag, $45, 35 CFM / 18 db

What makes this tough is that it's difficult to take the noise and airflow stats seriously. The Red Evercool and Xigmatek look like a good bang for the buck. The Enermax TB Silence fans look good but can those stats be taken seriously? Would the Enermax TB Silence (they claim 100,000 hours MTBF) bet the best bet?

Last edited:
have you considered just getting a new case and using the fans that come with it? if you case has spots for 5x80mm fans its gotta be petty old and low on modern conveniences.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

yate loon low speed fans for vertical mount, can't go wrong for the price they go for (highest quality cheapos).

have you considered just getting a new case and using the fans that come with it? if you case has spots for 5x80mm fans its gotta be petty old and low on modern conveniences.

I agree with this option - not the cheapest way to go, but modern cases are so much better designed, especially for airflow and cable management, than the older ones.

I second this. You're potentially spending over half the price of a new case on a fleet of 80mm fans. If you're going to do this I'd rather just spend the extra dough on a feature rich and affordable case like the CM690 or a Lancool K-series case.

im a huge fan of Yate loons they are great fans and last forever. they move alot of Air and are very Quiet

Back