• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me choose between the two?

Agilaz

n00b
Joined
Apr 30, 2013
Messages
4
Hi guys, first post and already asking questions. :p

So, I was thinking about finally upgrading my monitor, considering my current one has a maximum resolution of 1680x1050.

First I found the Asus PA248Q, and was rather impressed by it. Seems it has won awards left and right, and seemed to be a good choice for somebody who uses his desktop mainly for gaming and watching movies.

Then I found out about the Eizo FS2333-BK, and I started doubting my original choice. An IPS panel geared for gaming? Sounds good, and the price isn't too harsh either. However I do lose out that extra inch of screen space compared to the Asus.

So far, I'm leaning towards the Eizo screen, but tell me, will that missing inch of screen space be noticeable? And how do the two compare in terms of performance anyway?

If you have any other suggestions, I'd like to hear them as well - just keep in mind I'd like a monitor that does games and movies well, has an IPS panel and doesn't exceed 400 euros in price.
 
Hey man glad you made this thread bc Im in the same boat lol I really feel you will want the extra space esp if your a gamer. I currently own a 23 inch Dell. Its great but I really want that 1920X1200 gaming lol I was also looking at that Asus but no stores in my area carried it so I didnt want to buy it without first seeing it in person. Another I was looking at was the Dell u2412m. But many people said they use cheap e-ips panels, are 6bit, and heavier ag coating so I didnt want to buy. Here is another that has light ag coating which is another thing I want: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002784 Dont have much info on the NEC but newegg was discontinued for a very long time & they just came back in stock.
 
I was hoping for a bit more feedback by now. :p

Anyway, I'm figuring I won't miss that extra inch of screen space considering I'm already getting a monitor that's bigger than the one I have now. The things the Eizo offers are just too good to pass up, for me.

That said, it'll be a few days until I order, so yeah...suggestions are still welcome.
 
I have never seen the PA248Q, so cannot comment, but I own the fs2332 which uses the same PLS panel as the fs2333. I think this really boils down to your preferences on the aspect ratio of the screen and the anti-glare coating. Other than build quality, I think the benefits of the Eizo (mainly accurate color reproduction), will go largely unnoticed by the average user.

Don’t underestimate how different a 16:9 screen will feel from your current 16:10 set up. I find that the aspect ratio makes a bigger difference than the actual size of the screen. Mind you, I have come to like 16:9, but the initial switch was a bit jarring.

As for the AG coating, I am under the impression that the Asus would be similar to the matte coating on most LG IPS panels. The coating bothers me quite a bit (at least on my work U2312), but it is fine for most people.
 
Pivo, I've been looking around and many people seem to agree that as far as gaming and watching movies goes, 16:9 screens are slightly better suited, with 16:10 being ideal for work. I suppose it comes down to personal preference though, no?
 
16:10 is great but everything under the sun is being made for console and TV at 16:9 so if you are wanting parity with design 16:9 is the way to go. I hate wasted black bar space. But as noted 16:10 makes for better spreadsheet working. I own the Foris fs2333 and it is quite nice. I came from an NEC 20WMGX2 which was regarded as they best gaming IPS around from 2006-the fs2333 release. I don't use any of the fancy game oriented stuff either. Just the low input lag and pixel speed and AG coating and contrast ratio are enough to make it a really strong monitor imho.
 
So far, I'm leaning towards the Eizo screen, but tell me, will that missing inch of screen space be noticeable? And how do the two compare in terms of performance anyway?

If you have any other suggestions, I'd like to hear them as well - just keep in mind I'd like a monitor that does games and movies well, has an IPS panel and doesn't exceed 400 euros in price.

I suggest using a site like this to compare screen sizes:
http://www.displaywars.com/24,1-inch-16x10-vs-23-inch-16x9

It'll only give you a rough idea of the difference, as the best way to compare is to have the actual monitors side by side, but at least you can sort of see if the extra size will matter to you or not. If you use your PC for normal PC stuff, you'd probably prefer 16:10. I have a smaller 19" 5:4 next to my 24" 16:10, and a 23" 16:9 will have a bit less vertical than the 19"er. I've also done some testing by minimizing my work window to sort of mimic a 23" size, and find it very, very restricting. Then again, I expect that's simply because I got used to the extra vertical space.

But if you want the monitor for primarily gaming and movies, the 23"er should be fine.

And I assume you have a 22" 16:10 monitor now? The 23"er will have a little bit less vertical than what you are currently using.
 
I have the Eizo FS2333 as well, and it's an excellent monitor. Color reproduction and response time are wonderful AND it doesn't have that atrocious matte coating. There may be some quality issues though, as I've been through a few monitors (backlight bleed and grey pixel clusters). My current (3rd) monitor has 3 grey pixel clusters, but they're hardly noticeable so I'll probably keep it.

A 24" 16:10 will have a noticeably larger viewing area than a 23" 16:9, but the Eizo is so nice I honestly think it's worth it (especially if you mainly game and watch movies).
 
Back
Top