Help me choose an A/V Receiver

RabidSmurf

n00b
Hey Guys,

I am looking for a good receiver on a budget, can someone please review my requirements and recommend the best/cheapest receiver?

What I need:

- Minimum two HDMI inputs (3 or 4 preferrebly but I can tolerate component video for one of my soruces).
- Minimum one HDMI output
- Minimum 2 assignable optical audio inputs
- Minimum 1 digital coax audio input
- 5.1 surround support (I currently have a 5.1 speaker setup, but might expand to 7.1 later, so if the price difference is minimal i'de prefer a 7.1 receiver).

I am currently looking at this: Yamaha HTR6140B

This receiever would meet my MINIMUM requirements, can anyone recommend a better one for a similar price? or under $500?

Thanks in advance.

I would go with an older Onkyo model. All of the new Yamaha models this year drastically cut the wattage of the power supply driving the amp. If you look at the models from last year to this in weight you will see some of them dropped as much as 10 pounds. As a result they don't sound nearly as good.

For most folks Onkyo and Harmon Kardon seem to be the brands they like to go with. I went with Integra which is just high end Onkyo stuff. I would also head over to avsforum.com as they have tons of advice on receivers as well. May as well try to get as many opinions as you can, but personally after holding and hearing the newer Yamaha's against Onkyo and Harmon Kardon would not choose them.

Onkyo TX-SR606 (Onkyo Factory Reconditioned) = 319.99 + Shipping.
OR
Denon AVR-1909 (New) = $395 + Free Shipping.

Those two models are pretty much identical feature wise, and sound pretty much the same according to a review of someone that owned both. I own the TX-SR606 myself, and got it from Accesories4Less too, so I know they are reliable. The other company I have never done business with, but they have a good rating at least.

If heat is a matter to you, then the Denon is a no brainier. Onkyo receivers are known to run very hot, but you can always add fans inside like I did with mine(pics here). It's a cheap, silent, and non-distracting mod that is very easy to do, and solves the heat problem. But don't get me wrong, Onkyo is aware of this, and say this is normal and will not damage the unit.

As far as aesthetics, there are mixed feelings. Although Onkyo receivers normally offer the best bang for the buck, they are rather ugly looking. But to their defense, the entire unit is metal, including the frontal frame. The Denon has a metal body, with a plastic frontal frame. Also, I personally hate the plainness of the display in the Onkyo, I prefer the futuristic approach from Denon and Yamaha. But you might find it too distracting, so they're definitely not for everyone.

One thing to be aware of, is the Remote Control and the Manual. Denon is known to write the worst manuals in the world, so you might have trouble setting it up if this is your first receiver. But who cares, that's what the internet is for, there's plenty of people to help you. And about the Remote Control, all review sites claim the remote on the Denon AVR-1909 is horrible. I'm not sure how bad it is, but they all seem to hate it. In the contrary, the remote in the Onkyo is pretty good, everything is well organized. My only complaint is that the remote forgets what mode it was on after a few seconds, so I constantly have to press "Receiver" before I can do anything. Maybe mine is running out of batteries, who knows.

Ok, those are my suggestions. They both have their pros and cons, but I feel you will be happier with this options instead of the Yamaha you linked. Good luck.

Thanks for the input guys, I think the 606 is the route I am going to take.

To bad accessories4less won't sell that particular one outside of the US (I am in canada).

anyone have opinons on the

Onkyo TX-SR605

How does it compare to the 606?

606 has:
HDMI 1.3a - useful "IF" extended gamut (Deep Colour) movies start being made
Dolby True HD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS HD Master Audio - although standard LPCM can be used instead
4 + 1 out HDMI ports (vs 2 in 1 out on 605)
Video upscaling to 1080i, 1080p passthrough
Improved Audyssey Dynamic EQ
Music Optimizer - to improve MP3 etc playback
Bi-amp capable
Nicer LED lit remote
and more...

Unfortunately Onkyo are whores about their dealers shipping to Canada so I can't get it from a US dealer unless I drive there which isn't happening.

If I buy the thing here from an authorized Onkyo dealer I am looking at close to 700 CAD...

Can anyone recommend another amp? Maybe Denon AVR-689... or a Pioneer. Any recommendations of something equivalent or similar to the 606?

Thanks again

I just got an onkyo 605 on eBay for under $250 which is way cheaper than the 606.... It will due hd audio 7.1 over hdmi and upcomverts analog to digital.

...Can anyone recommend another amp? Maybe Denon AVR-689... or a Pioneer. Any recommendations of something equivalent or similar to the 606?...
Well, what are your options really? Just link us the best models from each brand, that you are able to afford, and then we can help you decide. Otherwise, me going to keep suggesting you stuff you can't get in Canada anyways.

I just got an onkyo 605 on eBay for under $250 which is way cheaper than the 606.... It will due hd audio 7.1 over hdmi and upcomverts analog to digital.
Yea, this is probably his best option now. Hopefully he can find it cheap around his area.
However, I think the 605 only converts Stereo (2.0) sources to Digital, nothing higher. But about video, you are correct, it converts it to Digital before Up-conversion.

I have the pioneer 1018 and it is an amazing unit. It also would meet all of your specs if you could find it. There is the 1019 out and it has replaced the 1018. I never trusted the 606 since there seemed to be an abundant amount of refurb units available - I'm sure onkyo refurbs are great (or so i've heard) but that isn't something that makes me trust the product.

I wouldn't say to get a used/refurb 605 because it only meets his minimum requirements (specifically the 2 HDMI input part). In the end you will end up replacing it much sooner than if you just get something that meets all your needs to begin with. Happens to me all the time...sigh.

Or! the denon avr 1610
http://www.XXXXXXX/denon/pe/DNN_AVR1610/
apparently J R dot Com is a swear word and gets replaced by Xs, cool!
anyone know why that is?

I have the yamaha 663. Works great. I got it for $350 last year. It's replacing an older, but very nice, onkyo.

So far i've been happy with the purchase.

I have never owned a marantz. But I hear nothing but good things about them.

I decided I couldn't pass up the deal on that Marantz, everywhere I look people want > 500 for this receiver. It looks like it does everything the 606 does minus one hdmi and 1080i upscaling (which I can't see myself using).

I went ahead andordered it, and this time they actually will ship to Canada.

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice, special thanks to DeViLdUdE for helping me find this great deal!

Good stuff man.. Had to say it since I have that Marantz 4002 (Really really heavy piece of equipment) too but i need speakers still..
All i could do right now is read and read the manual for fun heh..

Back