Help me choose a TV turner

DeChache

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm moving in a couple days and I'm not going have room for a TV in my room so I want to get a TV tuner for my computer to save some space. I'm looking at this one. For the main reason I can pick it up locally. Which is a big plus in my book. I can put it in either of my to Desktops because some of my research has said that the ATi 650 doesn't play well with Nforce4 chip sets.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated. If you want any more info just ask I really don't know what you guys need to know to help me.

Thanks again.

its a good card, one of the best.... look at this one also
'
http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...1600_ATSC_NTSC_Hybrid_Video_Recorder_TV_Tuner

it is just as good and 1/2 the price, and if you live near a compusa then you are in business.

IMO i would get the hauppauge. it is both a HDTV tuner and analog where as the 650 chipset is either HDTV or analog

I'm not so much worried about the HD part. I might play with OTA HD but most of my viewing will be analog unfortunately. Pretty much my only choice is Best Buy out here in Cornfield Iowa.

But thank you I feel a little bit better about my choice.

I have had 3 ATI all in wonders and was really dissapointed across the board.

Try:

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/prods.html

If you want simple down to earth with really great video and Vista support try the PVR-150 It's a tried and true device that you will be hard pressed to find a negitive review associated with it. This tuner will also accept composit and "S" video in so you can grab stuff from other sources. Mine has also become my second DVR when the networks run 3 things I want to watch at the same time, I have a dvr, the PVR-150 is my second dvr and I watch the thrid program.

Typicaly they are under $100.00 uncluding a remote and remote eye.

I have not had any experience with any of the nVIDIA product nor have I read much about it.

Very much worth a look;)

I have had 3 ATI all in wonders and was really dissapointed across the board.

Try:

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/prods.html

If you want simple down to earth with really great video and Vista support try the PVR-150 It's a tried and true device that you will be hard pressed to find a negitive review associated with it. This tuner will also accept composit and "S" video in so you can grab stuff from other sources. Mine has also become my second DVR when the networks run 3 things I want to watch at the same time, I have a dvr, the PVR-150 is my second dvr and I watch the thrid program.

Typicaly they are under $100.00 uncluding a remote and remote eye.

I have not had any experience with any of the nVIDIA product nor have I read much about it.

Very much worth a look;)

What didn't you like about the ATi cards. Maybe I'll take another look at the Hauppauge and the Nvidia tuners.

All in Wonder cards are not a good comparison for at TV card as they do not have a hardware encorder, only software.

I have an ATI 550 that I have used with both Nvidia and ATI cards and it works great. I am very happy with it. I had problems with my Haupauge PVR150 when it came to fast moving video, like sports. The 550 has no such problems and I have never noticed any tearing with the card. After your video is encoded, its a matter of what Decorder you use to view it. Nvidia's PureVideo works great when running XP and an Nvidia video card (you get the added benefit of some hardware acceleration).

You might try looking at the ATI 650 card since is does both HD and Analog.

I own ATI650 and to be honest you cannot get better card than this. Works perfectly in VISTA, XP Media Edition, etc. You can have Analog plus HD, and it is cheaper $89 from Buy.com.

What else you want, and not to mention picture is perfect.:D

I heard the ATI 650 has issues in vista go read the Green Button forums and see what I mean. I am thinking about getting the HDHomerun external tuner with 2 tuners and handles HD unencypted channels. Seems like a good idea is you want HD and dont have to deal with a cable box. Thats my 2 cents.

Edit the 650 has issues do too it being a hybrid card and not a combo card.....

I heard the ATI 650 has issues in vista go read the Green Button forums and see what I mean. I am thinking about getting the HDHomerun external tuner with 2 tuners and handles HD unencypted channels. Seems like a good idea is you want HD and dont have to deal with a cable box. Thats my 2 cents.

Edit the 650 has issues do too it being a hybrid card and not a combo card.....

Can you point me to a thread or two there. I did a little looking but didn't find anything.
I'm more concerned about the supposed issues with the Nforce4 chipset then with Vista.

Edit: Whats the difference between a hybrid card and not a combo card.

Can you point me to a thread or two there. I did a little looking but didn't find anything.
I'm more concerned about the supposed issues with the Nforce4 chipset then with Vista.

Edit: Whats the difference between a hybrid card and not a combo card.

Combo card: Analog and Digital/OTA HD tuners that can work simultaneously (watch one, record the other).

Hybrid card: Analog and Digital/OTA HD tuners that are either one or the other (you cannot, with the ATi 650, watch analog and record HD, or vice versa. Though the card supports both, it can only be done one at a time). HD support was kind of slapped on with the 650 so it's not as well thought out, in my opinion...

Also - I've noticed that the ATi drivers for Vista just aren't up to snuff with the ones for XP...the video quality in mine is somewhat lacking. I still have to test the Hauppague 1600 mentioned earlier to see if the problem's the card or my PC...

Vista Business, XP Pro, Kubuntu 7.04. So just about anything will work.

If you buy the Hauppague card, you get their media center software thrown in, which should cover you for Vista/XP. If you buy an ATi card, you get their software which doesn't work in Vista right now, so you'd have to go after a 3rd party solution (such as Sage TV or BeyondTV). I've only dabbled in Linux, so I have nothing intelligent to add there other than I'm pretty sure there's something out there for you :)

I have the nVidia Dual Tuner card it works great.

But...... I think it was discontinued recently, so I don't know how much I can recommend it based on that info, if it's correct.

Hows MythTv work with ATi hardware. I'm thinking thats the route I want to go. I have a spare box I'll turn into a Front end.

i have the vbox 150 for hd and the wintv pvr 150 in a mce 2005 box. Both work great. I am also from IA and its not all cornfields. Dont start that stuff now. Thats all ppl think we have here. i just got my computer powering off an ear of corn.

i have the vbox 150 for hd and the wintv pvr 150 in a mce 2005 box. Both work great. I am also from IA and its not all cornfields. Dont start that stuff now. Thats all ppl think we have here. i just got my computer powering off an ear of corn.

Fine my part of IA is all cornfields. I think the closest electronics store besides Best Buy is 2-3 hour drive.

Back