Help Me Choose A Mobo

So could you give me a recomendation for a case and powersupply like $100 or lower that would be good.

ANTEC !

now there may well be other PSU's that are as good --but i just about end up with an ancte in the box everytime.

shop around --antec's are a bit more expensive--but are not more expensive than getting one $30pus--that don't cut it--then get another for $45 and it don't cut it either-- you can wast mone trying to go cheap in the PSU's--than just getting a antec to start with--lol

any antec of 400+w should do the job-- one with native 24pin ATX would be best .

a 480w-500w with 24 pin would be just right --a 430 or 450 would do in a pinch.

as far as getting a 20 pin atx and useing a converter to 24pin-atx --i've had no problems--but since your getting a new PSU--anyways--it would be better if you can find a 24pin unit-- even if it is a little more $$ IMHO.

:)

that cheap $26 PSU--your kidding right ??

you would be better off with a 350w antec--

seems like they had a antec case on sale with a 380w antec psu for like $79 at the egg-- look around --ANTEC yea 380 is a little lower than what is ideal --but it wiould still be better than a generic.

check with price watch's searchable database-- :cool:

i have the MSI neo-4 platinum sli. it's a sweet mobo, hardocp recommended, and has sli. i only have one BFGTech 6600gt running in it, and it really pulls. i can run doom3 at 1600x1200 at medium graphics with no problems. i can also do high graphics and it gets a little choppy with lots of enemies on screen, but nothing that i would say is major. i can also eventually get that second 6600gt and it will be sweetness mobo-ified.

the nice thing about the neo-4 plat is the sound card is built in, it has all of the legacy connectors you could want (parallel, serial ports), but it also has all the new stuff too (spdif coax and optical - i haven't tested these though). the northbridge fan is NOT loud at all (like, it cannot even be heard with my case open). i would get the MSI fo sho bud...
i've heard the ASUS sli board has a really noisy (crappy also) NB fan and the DFI, though nice for OC'ing, doesn't have the legacy connectors you might want. the MSI board is also faster overall than the ASUS board, for about the same price.

you might also want to look into the ABIT fatality boards. i have heard good things about those too. a little expensive though.

just my two cents...

from the one you picked --i would say the antec @tiger direct closest to ideal PSU for your application

a ATX 2.0 standard with 24 pins

the other PSU's looked to a bit low on the 12v side one of them only shows 15amps you really need 20amps --or even more would be better.

the best i have seen under $100 is the antec smart power 500w it is above 20Amps on the 12 v-- is a native 24pin 2.0psu and sells for $ 75 @ newegg . something like that should fit the bill nice

the single 12v rail psu's above 18amps (actual not advertised) on the 12v line should be plenty :)

So out of the brands here that I can get at pretty good prices what are the best (obviously Antec but wat else) :

Antec
APC
Codegen
Coolmax
ENERMAX
Enhance
FSP Group
In-Win
Intel
Seasonic
Silverstonetek
Sparkle
Supermicro
ThermalTake
Tripp Lite
TriPro / Maruson
Vantec
Zalman

i would pretty much stick with the antec's myself

in-win was good as was enermax--but i haven't had one of them in years though-- they may have went "global" and started ra-badging generic stuff since the last time i had one.

i am sure some on this list of PSU's would be good-- however --some of them are generics as well.

unless you know exactly what your getting you could end up with a re-boxed generic PSU.

you should check out the thread on PSU's --as i have little experience with any psu other than antec.

i will say this for antec though-- over the years i have been building these computers antec has proved stable quality power and i haven't had a "bad" antec psu yet.

maybe thats just "luck" --but i've built lots of computers over the last 15years--90% of them have antec psu's. i've seen a 450w antec--put a 650w generic in the dumpster many times. :cool:

OK so I think I know what to look for in the PSU. Thanks. So which motherboard do you think is the best for my system?

it depends on what you want the computer system to do --

DFI is a overclocking MB but it is good at about everything

ASUS is a good overclocker as well-- just not as rabid as the DFI but has a huge bundle of extras--and is excellent at sli-

there are some nice SLI budget MB's out there the biostar SLI and the foxcon sli--like $129 for SLI--bargin price and could be good MB'--they might even overclock a little-

there is the budget priced chaintec nf4-- and i have heard it overclocks pretty well for a budget MB-- anyways a ultra nf4 for $90 or less brand neww certainly ain't a bad deal.

other mb' to consider gigabyte--and epox

and you could shop around new eggs referbs if your really looking to save some $$$ and can live without the retail stuff--.--you could if building a gammeing rig--get a little faster cpu--say a 3200--so you won't have to overclock it much--some inexpensive value type ram a nice nf4 mb with some overclocking options--and a antec psu-- the only expensive part of the box could be the videocard -- i would get a x800pro or x800xl for a non sli rig

but the x850xt has been seen for $350--yea i know thats high--but still alot less than a 6800ultra or the new 7800's

just draw up a plan of what the goal of the system is--and start from there-- :cool:

the first one looks the best . but any of these should do well.

only thing is all of them are dual rail 12v psu's.

now --back when the nf4's first came out--there was a few problems with the dual rail psu's

not providing enugh amps because of the dual rail set up--

but i think this problem has been fixed-- i haven't heard of any problems with the dual rail's for several months now. however let it be noted that i haven't used the dual rail jobs--mine are all single rail PSU's.

normally you would want 20+amps on a single rail with the more the better-- my 550TC is 36A on the 12v and my 450sl is rated @ 20a but tested at 24a

these case/psu's your looking at have 17a and 19a --with the fact that antec usually puts out a little mor than spec--and the fact that with two rails you can put the Hd's fans and what not on one rail and put the MB/CPU on the other --i think that the 500w unit should do the job--just be careful as to how you use the two rails . :cool:

OK good, I feel a little better now. As for the prices on the last 3 items shown, I can get them for somewhere around 112 for the first, 56 for the second, and 97 for the third. I will keep looking to see what else I can find.

Thanks again.

Now that I keep adding up the cost, I am wondering if it is worth getting an SLI mobo or not. I am sure I can get the same performace because I am not planning on getting two cards right away anyway. I am just wondering about possible upgrade. What do you think.

well SLI isn't really worth it for right now --however with good SLI mb's just going for just $30-$60 more than a regular MB -- it is not a far fetched idea to build one just in case.

considering tha the MB is going to be the more reasonably priced things in the system.

SLI is kind of like overclocking --in that it can add value--but the added value can cost more than its worth -- i do build lot of sli mb/systems with one videocard--an eye twards getting SLI later.

i would say --if your budget can spare an extra $60-- go ahead and get a sli MB--but if it can't get a budget MB and spend the diffrence on a better videocard . thats where the big-gain is with the pci-e's anyways

bargin videocards-- i like the x800xl and the x800pro with 256mb ddr3--if your going the ATI road--you can skip the SLI MB if going ATI now rules out a GFnvidia for later.

:cool:

So if I said that I had a budget of say $800, what parts would you suggest that I should get.

I want it to be able to do a variety of things. I do want to play some newer games as well as possible basic video editing.

I am going to run Windows Xp (hopefully Pro), some of the newer games (Far Cry, Unreal, Battlefield 2...), and I am not sure what kinda of video software for now, that will probably come a little later.

well is the budget just for the computer-- or is it for everything-/-- like monitor speakers --keyboard mouse and teh like ?

lastly do you have anything to work with --case ? cdrw-drives, hard drives & so forth--?

if you need a hard drie --how much space will you need ? 80g is mostly enough--and inexpensive sata's are usually 80g-- but sometimes you'll see some pata's like 160-250g for like $70--howevver there allmost allways a maxtor--lol :cool: :cool:

Yeah I was hoping for the budget to be just for the computer cause I think I can find everything I need for now and get the new stuff later. I don't really have anything to work with and as for size of the HDD, either 80 or 120 should be good for now.

hey over at monarch computers they still have amd/ motherboard & cpu pre tested combos-- you can even still get a bare bones with the case/mb psu pre tested--i think .

the prices don't look as low as the egg-- however--if you get a break on the combined shipping and they have three big name games they can throw in free-

could be the thing if your going to get them games anyway--
:cool:

They don't have great prices there. Is there anyway that you could get a parts list with the best possible situation for my budget. Thanks

anyways-- ok overclocking-- what kind if any overclocking are you going to do ?

overclocking can add value-- but it can also make things more expensive--

ie-- a less expensive MB will likely require a faster cpu (stock-clock) to attain the same overall system speed .

say your goal is to have 2.4g stable on a 939 -- ok with a more expensive MB--like the DFI that should be no problem even @ stock volts with a 3000venice--1.8g

now with a foxcon/biostar or gigabyte--ECS--ectra-- you might need a 3200 venice to do the same--maybe a bit more-- like 3400--3500

i like the 3000 venice cause it overclocks very well--as well as the more $$$ chips--and it is cheap--$115 @ ewiz

the 3200 venice core--is a good buy at $142 (oem) though at $188--i just as well get the 3000 for $115 and overclock it a litle higher

a sort of middle of the raod MB--would be that epox-- i haven't had one of them--but i have heard it overclocks well-- not too expensive about $90-- that and a cheap 3000 venice 939--would be the most logical way to go-- :cool:

I don't think I will do any major overclocking, but possibly a slight OC. I wanted to stay with either an ASUS, DFI, MSI, or ABIT motherboard if possible. I do like the price and OC portential of the 3000 as well.

now wher back at asus or DFI

although the asus a8n-sli's would be a top pick--there pretty rich at $160 a pop

the DFI lanparty ultra D is a good MB--but it is a bit high as well @ $129 for someone that isn't into all out overclocking and on a thght budget.

the ABIT --from what ive seen is a bit pricey as well .

there is a cheap MSI nf4 for $90 shipped--but i have heard so many stories about their funkyness-- it would be difficult for me to suggest getting one--because i haven't built one .

the chaintech nf4--can overclock pretty good i hear-- i know the early ones had some problems - but the later revisions seem to be pretty good --or so i hear --and you can get the ultra for about $90

i would consider the Epox n4f MB check out the crew at rebels haven--they have built a epox as well as a dfi-lanparty ultra d and a asus a8n-sli. anyways epos was once the MB to have in the AMD's and expox is good about bios updeats at one time their quality was right up there with abit--and lately they been --hyped less--so you might get a good deal on one. :eek:

ok i was shopping around the newegg-- and this looks very good.

the albatron k8sli-nf4-- it has soft switching--so there are no jumpres or sli cards to mess with
albatron is a good brand-- i have built many many albatron's in socket 478 and 775--and there very good MB's and they allways have some provisions for overclocking.

albatron is kind of like a gigabyte--but only better and with good support. i think it has dual-bios--a very nice feature--

here is the kicker--the albatron k8sli--retail box is $138 - a $30 mir= $108 ! can't beat that with a stick!

if i didn't allready have a a8n-sli delux/a8v-delux and a dfi-lanparty ultra D--i would grab one of these.

sli for $18 more than a regular nf4 ? --the darned sli bridge for my ultra-d cost $15--LOL

i once thought abit was the top dog but anytime i see this at the egg-- i allways avoid that product (warrenty by manufactor only)--

so these would be my picks for your situation

#1 albatron k8-sli --best value, should be good overclocker, $108

#2 DFI-lanparty ultra D-REFERB --cheap- great overclocker--no krajuan module or anything $86

#3 tie epox nf4-chaintec nf4U-- good overclocking decent value $96

#4 asus a8n-sli stable good overclocker -expensive but lots of extras $166

# 5 dfi lanbarty ultra D new--$135 expensive for a single videocard--moddable to sli if needed, stable, great overclocker

any of these should be a good pick-- but i think the albatron is the best value for $$$ of the bunch . :eek:

Again, even if these may be good boards, kind of want to stay with the names I know. How about a board like the A8N-E from ASUS if I can't get a good deal on SLI? What other compnenets do you think would be good on this budget?

well the asus a8n-e is likelyy a good MB-- but i think it is about as high as the dfi ultra D--for the $$-- i would go with the ultra D--unless you get a super bargin price on the a8n-e.like $90

it's your system - just pick what you want--LOL

-the MB is a important component to the system --however there are other things that have as much affect--

me-- i would get the albatron sli for $108
the 3000 venice for ewhiz for $115

that antec case you looked at with the 500wSP atx 2.0
$ 130
i would get some decent value ram

like PQI turbo , patroit , corsair, crucial ect i would get 2x 512 of cl 2.5 and run it t2

yea i know people all they talk about is running t1 cl2 overclocked to ddr 600mhz

and you can do this--but you'll spend more than it's worth usually .
:eek:

that albatron should be a excellent MB-- i would get it over an abit--anyday. it is most likely as good as my a8n-- and it could be better given it is of a later design .

if your computer building skill is up to it--that referbed dfi-lanparty ultra d is a great deal as well. :eek:

the retail price on the a8n-e and a8n-sli are pretty close--given the price ofr the a8n-8 about $130--and the a8n-sli deluxe around $160-- i would get the a8n-sli-deluxe

i'm just thinking that $60 saved by the albetron --will get $60 more on the videocard--lol

Well, actually I can get the A8N-E for like 105 and I will ask my computer source baout the albatron.

well i still lean twards the albatron k8-sli due to it's reasonable price-

they got a review of it over at tec-power up--

they got it to do 390fsb-- not bad at all-- the only thing about the albatron is it has only a small amount of stuff that comes with it--kind of a basic retail kit--where the asus comes with everything but the kitchen sink.

my asus can only do 368mhz (fsb)--although the DFI can do WELL over 400mhz --so any of these three can overclock a 939 cpu to its limits --although i am thinking you just want a mild 300-400mhz overclock to be sure everything is stable and not-tweeky- your probably looking at 250-270mhz as a easy overclock-- that will give an honest 2.4+g

you might want to look around for a deal on a 3200 it has a 10x multi--makes for a slightly easyer overclock in some mb's--then you could get 2.4g @240fsb

$150 for a a8n-sli deluxe certainly isn't a bad deal --although i also think the albatron sli --is a bargin as well.

I am wondering, what are the cons so to speak of the DFI Laparty Nf4 Ultra-D. What is needed to make this board super dependable. Also, is this a good choice for a mobo for me or no? Finally, I know you have to flash a bios, and since I have never done this, how exactly is it done?

http://www.rhcf.com/
The Rebels Haven Computer Forum Main Page

as far as dependability-- about any n4f should be pretty good. the DFI is very dependable WHEN set up proper . the ASUS seems super dependable too.

the ALBATRON k8-sli --should be about as good as the asus or DFI i would think-- i've built a number of albatrons in intel 915p/925p and 875p and they seemed to have very good build quality. i figure it will be a quality pice of hardware or i wouldn't suggest it-

-another thing is new egg is very good about returns and RMA's--so if you are unlucky and get a "DOA " motherboard-- getting a return from new egg won't be a problem--it don't happen often--but i still get a Dead On Arrival motherboard from time to time .

i would rather have a DOA mb--than a flakey MB that half runs--so a DOA ain't the worst thing --lol

the albatron should be a straight forward-easy build for a newbie

the DFI is a bit more involved than the asus or albatron would be- it is expensive for a non-sli mb and lastly-- it's main advantages arn't much of an avantage unless your overclocking to the limit -- so unless overclocking is the main point of your build-there are less expensive MB's with more features--just as stable and can overclock well enough--without going crazy with it and becomming unstable. a DFI-ultra D will take a good bit more time for a newbie than the others will and --if you get to playing around in the bios--watch out for all them extra v-core/v-dimm options-- if you make a careless move with them--you can kill the ram or the CPU-- you'll definatly have to take more time and be more careful and read up on alot of stuff to make a good first time build out of the ultra d-

the ultra d --although there are folks that have built it first time-- can be more than you would want-- depending on what your skill is about building computers-

the ultra D would be better for someone that had built a few computers before normally.

i would stick with the asus or the albatron--if you just got to get a "name brand"--get the asus a8n-sli deluxe for $150--a little expensive--but a good MB and it comes with tons of extra stuff.

i still don't think you can beat the albatron k8-sli for $108-- overclocking-sli and good quality for a budget MB price.-- but either should do what you require easy--with room to spare. :cool:

Back