Help me choose a hard drive

AeriaGloris

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 7, 2005
Messages
384
I currently have an 80Gb Seagate drive (SATA) and it's getting pretty full. I'm looking fo a new drive 250Gb or greater, but there are just too many to choose from. I'd like to spend £100 or less. I have an MSI K8N Neo 2 platinum, so I don't think I have SATAII (is it backwards compatible with sata1? i dunno) What drive would you recommend?
 
AeriaGloris said:
I currently have an 80Gb Seagate drive (SATA) and it's getting pretty full. I'm looking fo a new drive 250Gb or greater, but there are just too many to choose from. I'd like to spend £100 or less. I have an MSI K8N Neo 2 platinum, so I don't think I have SATAII (is it backwards compatible with sata1? i dunno) What drive would you recommend?

At the moment, the best price/gig (without rebates) lies with the Western Digital 320GB WD3200JD. (I think they're about £115.) Most modern SATA drives are about the same speed (Raptor excluded - Doesn't meet your requirement of 250GB or greater) and reliability.
 
On Scan.co.uk you have quite a few to choose from. The Samsung SP P120, Maxtor Diamond Max10, and Hitachi T7K250 all are available for less than £80 (incl VAT). All three are excellent choices. The Samsung is the quietest, the Maxtor the fastest, the Hitachi strikes a pretty happy medium between the two.
 
DougLite said:
On Scan.co.uk you have quite a few to choose from. The Samsung SP P120, Maxtor Diamond Max10, and Hitachi T7K250 all are available for less than £80 (incl VAT). All three are excellent choices. The Samsung is the quietest, the Maxtor the fastest, the Hitachi strikes a pretty happy medium between the two.

I'm looking at the samsung, but it uses sata II, will that work with my mb?
 
Sure will. It will just run at 1.5 gbps SATA. You'd never notice the difference anyway.
 
Back
Top