Help Me Buy a Good 1920x1200 Monitor

dugn

Limp Gawd
Forgive the added detail, but I've seen that often helps with these kinds of questions...

I've been spoiled with my 2003 Sony SDM-P232 1920x1200 DVI-D LCD for years. It's still working fine, but while building a brand new machine (see old and new specs below), I came across a strange flickering with the new machine - which seems to suggest Win7 doesn't have a perfect enough INF to accurately drive my ancient Sony to prevent the flickering. Or, I just need to buy a new monitor.

The Problem
The flickers are 'flashes' or blinks (<10th of a second) that would happen randomly every 3-60 seconds (it's not a driver reset, which lasts a lot longer). They were happening every time the NVidia card spun up or spun down the Core, Shader or Memory clocks in 2D (desktop) mode (ATIs didn't exhibit this beahvior). Depending on how much active graphic content was on the screen (IE or an application), the GPU cores would spin-up or spin-down (as seen in CPU-Z and EVGA Precision) causing the flicker. This never happened on my ancient WinXP machine. So, for XP - this monitor works great. But on a new Win7 machine with all new parts, I've got flicker. There's no flicker in 3D gaming (or at least, I don't see it - and I've looked hard).

I did software/driver troubleshooting (in-box drivers, no drivers, NVidia 190.62 drivers + Win7 RTM rebuilds from scratch) to no avail. Then I did hardware swaps (DVI-D cables, power cables, PSU, Motherboard, GPU). Replacing the NVidia GPU with ATI solved it, but I prefer NVidia. After swapping everything else, I finally swapped the monitor and the problem seemed fixed; absolutely no flickering with all of my new hardware.

So, although I absolutely hate this loaner Viewsonic VA2626WM, at least it doesn't exhibit the problem - which saves me from returning otherwise good parts before the 30-day RMA window where I'd be stuck with them. The bummer is that it seems my trusted Sony won't be able to join my new machine.

New Monitor Needed
So now my dilema: Which new 1920x1200 DVI-D should I buy for a clean, crisp work desktop and gaming (no professional digital photography level work, but I'll take it if it's affordable). It needs to be black or mostly black (to match rig and decor). Annoying or brightly-colored lights would be a minus. HDCP would be a bonus. I don't care as much about menu complexity since i hope to 'set it and forget it'. Around $500 or less would be great (but I just spent a bundle on a rig, so I'll splurge if it's that good).

None of the 10 1920x1200 monitors at NewEgg impressed me with their reviews - even the $1100 model had detractors. I like the way the Samsungs look when I see them on display. In these forums, I see a lot of talk about Dell and some LG's, but I'm looking for specific recommendations based on my needs above.

Alternately, if this all boils down to the need to modify my Sony INF so Win7 handles this monitor correctly, I'd be glad to do that (doubtful, but heck - if a change to a text/INF file works, even better!). Using no INF, NVidia's control panel sees my Sony with all of its features while Win7 only sees it as as Generic PnP Monitor. Either way, I get flickers. Even adding two lines for an x64 section needed for Win7 (which allows Win7 to name the monitor correctly in Device manager and load teh ICM), the flicker remains.

So, can someone with more INF/Win7 driver knowledge help me fix this? Or is it likely unfixable (Win7 may have a demand for the monitor or the INF that I just won't be able to fix) and just go out and buy a new monitor?

Unless this is a simple INF hack, I don't want to fight this anymore.

Monitor recommendations anyone?

Any monitor, no matter the price, will have some detractors. There is no universal monitor that will fit everyone's needs.

I suggest reading reviews from Prad.de that are more than just mere owner reviews; some of which probably didn't do any real research before buying their monitor(s).

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/reviews.html

TFT Central is also worth checking out.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm

Back in 2007 I did at least 60+ hours of research just on monitors before I decided to buy the 26" NEC 2690WUXi. This year (2009) I spent and additional 6+ hours research for another 26" LCD monitor. Nothing really impressed me, so I bought the Planar PX2611w ($800) which was my second choice monitor back from 2007. I didn't want to spend another $1,200 for a secondary monitor which does not get used all the time.

The only monitor I ever bought for less than $650 is the Asus VK246H (1920 x 1080 resolution; for limited usage; 0 to 5 hours per week) which is reviewed over at Prad.de.

Here's my review from Tomshardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/54250-3-asus-vk246h-review-updated

Good stuff. In the $500 range, I'm eying either the 24" NEC Multisync EA241WM-BK or it's slightly bigger 26" NEC Multisync EA261WM-BK.

Or one of the Dell models: UltraSharp 2408WFP 24-inch Widescreen

Any thoughts on the Dell vs. the two NECs?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Both NECs uses TN panels while the Dell 2408WFP uses a S-PVA panel. For more info about panel tech click the below link.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/specs.htm

Generally speaking, I would choose the Dell over the NECs because of viewing angles and better color accuracy (after calibration). The only real negative the Dell could have is input lag; basically the amount of time delay for the monitor to "react" to your commands. The original version, A00, had input lag in excess of 50ms or at least 3 frames. However, Dell has steadily reduced input lag and the current Dell 2408WFP version is A02 which supposedly has an input lag of around the low 20's ms, or roughly 1.5 frames.

Don't know anything about input lag for the NECs. Could be better or it could be worse, but generally speaking TN panel monitors have the lowest input lag.

dugn,

So, can someone with more INF/Win7 driver knowledge help me fix this? Or is it likely unfixable (Win7 may have a demand for the monitor or the INF that I just won't be able to fix)
Unfortunately I cannot answer this important question. I would try to contact professionals at your local computer service center.

Regardind monitors.

see old and new specs below
The Sony P232 seems to be the best part of those specs.

I've been spoiled with my 2003 Sony SDM-P232 1920x1200 DVI-D LCD for years.

It's understandable.
The only monitor that really surpasses P232 is the NEC 2490WUXi.
Nothing else.
A simplified replacement is Apple 23" (or 24" - if you don't mind glossy screen and manage to pair it with your troublemaking system).
Oltherwise you'll have to reduce expectations.

Also you need to understand the difference between panel technologies and color gamuts.
IPS - what you have on the Sony P232
PVA/MVA - loss of dark details + reduced viewing angles
TN - darkened top/whitened bottom + poor viewing angles
Wide Gamut - oversaturated colors

gamutintergdiagram1600.jpg

With its PVA and WG flaws, Dell 2408 is still a good mid-level monitor.
Notes:
no comparison with the Sony P232
will be replaced soon with a better model

Both NECs - TN garbage.

Recommendations are here.

Last edited:
dugn,

The Sony P232 seems to be the best part of those specs.

It's understandable (that you can't find anything better). The only monitor that really surpasses P232 is the NEC 2490WUXi.
Nothing else.

Also you need to understand the difference between panel technologies and color gamuts.
IPS - what you have on the Sony P232
PVA/MVA - loss of dark details + reduced viewing angles
TN - darkened top/whitened bottom + poor viewing angles
Wide Gamut - oversaturated colors

With its PVA and WG flaws, Dell 2408 is still a good mid-level monitor.
Notes:
no comparison with the Sony P232

VERY helpful post albovin. It sounds like I have a far better panel than I ever expected (I guess that $1200 I spent in 2003 was a good investment).

Although I've read a lot recently on LCD tech, I'm still drinking from a firehose. For this layman, can you help me understand

1. Aside from the great color comparison you provided, what other differences I would notice from stepping down to one of the Dell or NEC $400-$500 TN-based displays when using deskop apps and gaming?
  2. Since I love my Sony and it's a far better monitor than I ever knew, if your recommendation would be to get the $1000 NEC 2490WUXi (or the LCD2690WUXi-BK which is IPS also) to make sure I get the same (or better) than what I'm used to with the P232?

It sounds like you've been pretty clear on my upgrade option: Get the NEC 2490wuxi.

If that's true, is Amazon the best place to get it for $1050? I want the option to return it if there are bad pixels or I'm not happy - and it sounds like NewEgg doesn't have as liberal of a return policy for LCD panels.

The idea of sending a monitor to the tip over software does not sit well with me. Test earlier NVIDIA drivers for a regression, and afterwards you should submit feedback here.

The idea of sending a monitor to the tip over software does not sit well with me. Test earlier NVIDIA drivers for a regression, and afterwards you should submit feedback here.

Already in-progress. [Incident: 090904-000113]

I honestly think this is the lack Win7 support in Sony's ancient INF and CAT files (from 2003) and the Windows 7 in-box drivers that identify the Sony as a generic PnP monitor. Either way - in Win7 - my poor IPS Sony flickers and no one I've found has the knowledge to help me track down the fix or a hack to get around it (or even a 'close match' of driver files from a modern day monitor I could trick Win7 into using).

I'm sorry... what exactly does an INF file do in the case of a monitor? Hasn't it been obsolesced by EDID?

VERY helpful post albovin. It sounds like I have a far better panel than I ever expected (I guess that $1200 I spent in 2003 was a good investment).

Although I've read a lot recently on LCD tech, I'm still drinking from a firehose. For this layman, can you help me understand

1. Aside from the great color comparison you provided, what other differences I would notice from stepping down to one of the Dell or NEC $400-$500 TN-based displays when using deskop apps and gaming?
  2. Since I love my Sony and it's a far better monitor than I ever knew, if your recommendation would be to get the $1000 NEC 2490WUXi (or the LCD2690WUXi-BK which is IPS also) to make sure I get the same (or better) than what I'm used to with the P232?

It sounds like you've been pretty clear on my upgrade option: Get the NEC 2490wuxi.

If that's true, is Amazon the best place to get it for $1050? I want the option to return it if there are bad pixels or I'm not happy - and it sounds like NewEgg doesn't have as liberal of a return policy for LCD panels.

Theoretically (or instrumentally measured) all technologies are practically equal in colors.
The fundamental difference is viewing angles behavior.
TN is the worst in that regard.
In the picture you see darkened top and whitened bottom. The reality is even worse because this color abnormality is not frozen. It travels up and down as you move your head up and down.
1. You never have correct picture.
2. Floating colors are irritating.

In games you would probably find TNs "faster", although it's not guaranteed.

This expensive monitor is recommended to those who want the best possible photo-quality-like picture. It shines in all areas including moderate gaming. It has some Pro features that may be excessive for a regular user, but other monitors (without "excessive" features) simply do not provide same picture quality.
As you are looking for upgrade for such an outstanding monitor of the past, it's very logical to continue with the outstanding monitor of the present. You never mentioned that you were a hardcore gamer, so the NEC 2490WUXi has no contraindications for the rest of the life.

If you decide to buy the NEC 2490WUXi - make sure you buy the first model that is being replaced with a variation called 2490WUXi2 (the manufacturer has no more supply to make the original 2490WUXi).

If you decide to buy the NEC 2490WUXi - make sure you buy the first model that is being replaced with a variation called 2490WUXi2 (the manufacturer has no more supply to make the original 2490WUXi).

Again - thanks for the very detailed and helpful reply. Why should I be sure to get the discontinued model over the new WUXi2?

Again - thanks for the very detailed and helpful reply. Why should I be sure to get the discontinued model over the new WUXi2?

The 2490WUXi has better viewing angles than the 2490WUXi2.

The 2490WUXi has better viewing angles than the 2490WUXi2.

Users on this forum should be more clear about this. White glow is present even looking straight at the screen on my Dell U2410.

Stop talking about off-angle glow and gamma/color shifting, and start talking about straight-angle glow and gamma/color shifting. Reading on this forum made me think that the white glow of IPS-monitors was only an off-angle problem. Now i know that it is a problem, even looking straight at the screen.

Last edited:
Users on this forum should be more clear about this. White glow is present even looking straight at the screen on my Dell U2410.

This is what I am always talking about.
Good viewing angles are necessary for any position.
The screen is always seen at an angle - even if you sit in front of it.

I used to have a Samsung monitor (20.1" 16x12) that worked fine for a year or two, then started crapping out on me. That and the fact that Samsung never sent me my $70 rebate for the damn thing sealed the deal. I'll NEVER buy another Samsung product, ever.

I now have the monitor in my sig. Love it. Only complaint is it's a tad bright but that's easily corrected by selecting the 'text' setting on the monitor. Lowers the brightness by about 15% I'd guess.

Here is a link to the same monitor (cept I have the one without speakers) at NewEgg. Good price, huge monitor, awesome quality. Acer has me in their pocket when it comes to monitors so far.

This is what I am always talking about.
Good viewing angles are necessary for any position.
The screen is always seen at an angle - even if you sit in front of it.

Yes, you can say any angle is off-angle, but discussions on this forum gives the impression that white glow is only pronounced when looking at certain degrees off-angle. Many say they don't care about off-angle glow because they will be looking straight at the screen... Well, the white glow is pronounced even looking straight at the screen. This should be made clear to everyone, cause i don't think everyone knows.

The experience with the Dell U2410 made me realize just how important an A-TW polarizer is.

S-IPS and glossy coating is the best possible combination for gaming.

I also think so. I'll rather have a vibrant screen with reflections, than a grainy screen with sparkly reflections. Too bad there are very few manafactures willing to put screens like that out.

^^^ Says who? I have a VW266h and I think its great for gaming. Your not going to find that reactive a panel with IPS - and it costs alot more. Viewing angle is SO overrated. I sit right in front of my monitor when I a game and I don't notice and difference from top to bottom. This one has very little back light bleed too boot.

I tell you honestly I can absolutely notice a slower panel with regards to gaming. Don't believe the hype - a good TN panel with RTC can transition from one color to another - every transition under 3ms. That's just not true with IPS panels and especially not true with PVA panels. I know both of these panels have "ratings" equivalent to the TN ones. But only a few sources really show the non gray to gray transitions...

I also think so. I'll rather have a vibrant screen with reflections, than a grainy screen with sparkly reflections. Too bad there are very few manafactures willing to put screens like that out.

Agreed. My Nec 20WMGX2 is the best gaming monitor I own but I'm still in denial about using it as the primary because of its "low" resolution. It has a tremendous depth to it that that my matte 3007FPW-HC and BenQ G2400WD lack, and of course far much more vibrancy than a FW900. The NEC even holds up to a Pioneer Kuro 5020FD unlike the other monitors, but 1680x1050 :(.

At this point I'd probably settle for a 1080p glossy IPS panel with decent response times that way I can use same settings with it and the Kuro.

Back