• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me build my new computer!

Billybob51106

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 28, 2002
Messages
436
I need:

Motherboard
Processor
Ram
Video
Sound

I play a lot of EQ2.

Not sure if I should go Intel or AMD, the new intel with the 2 meg of cache looks nice. Need 2 gig of ram, and think maybe 6800 GT PCI. I havent a clue what to get.

I am getting the 36gig raptor and a antec neo 480 for sure. Please help!

-Bill
 
AMD for sure. A 6800 GT is a nice card you should do fine with it. A lot of people like the DFI motherboard for nforce4(aka pci-e). It's hard to recommend stuff without a target price though...
 
I'm on the slowest computer...well top 5 at least. newegg.com is blocked here as well I'll try to get back to you later when I'm at home if you haven't already got some replies.
 
Phranq said:
I'm on the slowest computer...well top 5 at least. newegg.com is blocked here as well I'll try to get back to you later when I'm at home if you haven't already got some replies.
newegg is being blocked....in FL? thats odd. Asus mobo (thinking ab't SLI?)all along id recommend. creative Sound Card and ATI X800XL over 6800GT since same performce but you pay at least $100 less. Ram choice would go to Corsairs IMHO. The most reliable mem on the planet. If you are building a gaming machine, an AMD proc no doubt! But if you also do a fair amount of A/V encoding, multitasking, Intel is still the choice you can't dismiss.
 
All I ever use my machine for is EQ2, email and web browsing. I like m machines fast, stable, never OC'd. If someone could link me up with what they consider being the most reliable it would mean a lot.

So far I have:

Case
Monitor
Keyboard & Mouse
Floppy
Speakers

I will for sure get the 36 gig raptor and antec neo 480.

Id love to get 2 gig of ram along with winXP 64 bit here next month.

-Bill
 
then go with Intel.

CPU: Intel P4 2.8 or 3.0 (w/ HT) Northwood (instead of pressies/775, no heat issues) $150
Mobo: Asus P4C800-E $125-$150 (the best 875 mobo)
Mem: Corsairs PC3200 (2-2-2-5)or their XL PC3200. 1 MB would be enough. $200
Vid Card: NV 6600GT $200 or ATI X800XL $300
Sound: Creative Audigy2 Zs $100

You do the math....

EDIT: Forgot to mention the optical drive, not sure you want a dvd burner or not...let me know
 
Newegg is being blocked by my stupid school, hehe...



Edit: P4 3.2 800FSB
1 GIG Ram
6800GT



What's the rig in the sig for then? That should run EQ2 fine imo.
 
is there a reason why youre getting the 36gb raptor and the antec neo? there are faster altenatives to it and the antec neo has a hefty premium. do you plan on overclocking?
 
there there *pats imlazzzy on the back*, we read it, i just wanted to suggest a alternative or 2 :D
 
Phranq said:
Newegg is being blocked by my stupid school, hehe...



Edit: P4 3.2 800FSB
1 GIG Ram
6800GT



What's the rig in the sig for then? That should run EQ2 fine imo.

they use ie security to block it or what?

3.2 for him kinda overkill ...6800GT? um...X800 XL'd be better ===>cheaper. EQ2....meh..
 
ImLazZzy said:
they use ie security to block it or what?

3.2 for him kinda overkill ...6800GT? um...X800 XL'd be better ===>cheaper. EQ2....meh..

i think hes talking about orginal poster's sig =P
 
Thanks for the replies, the current sig computer got hijacked by the GF.

Now what is better than the 36gig raptor? I dont need anything bigger, I have no files. And what is better than the Antec 480?

I was also looking into the new XPC by shuttle, that looks pretty descent. So many choices.

-Bill
 
Billybob51106 said:
Thanks for the replies, the current sig computer got hijacked by the GF.

Now what is better than the 36gig raptor? I dont need anything bigger, I have no files. And what is better than the Antec 480?

I was also looking into the new XPC by shuttle, that looks pretty descent. So many choices.

-Bill

the 76gb raptor is better than the 36gb raptor and 36gb is hardly enough space nowadays. my 36gb raptor is already half filled with windows and a few applications :(

the antec 480 isnt bad but i prefer the seasonic. if you click on the links on my other post there are complete system builds that you can buy.

the xpc series is pretty good but not quite as quiet as i would have expected (even with the silentx psu), also there is a slight premium to the form factor.
 
the school uses a program to block sites...I can't remember the name of it.
 
My school uses a site blocker too. For some reason [H] Forum and ocp, even newegg aren't blocked. But, be careful, historychannel web site has porn it seems... so does almost every other site. I was amazed when I was shopping for computer parts and nothing was blocked, my friends and I were laughing about it. The folding web site is blocked too, it's got porn... a perfectly good t1 connection going to waste at school... Not a total waste...i can still get here.
 
Back
Top