• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me build a lan/gaming machine :D

Hupo

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 14, 2005
Messages
1,399
The system in my sig is my current gaming/everyday machine. I lan alot and I want something small and nice. Im getting a flatscreen along with a desk from IKEA. Money is tight for me so I plan on buying a piece of this computer project peace by peace. Dont flame me on that lol its hard for me. Id like one one of those fancy lan boxes. (preferebly black with neon lights in it.) The case Id like it to have good ventilation and fit a 7800 in it and a motherboard thats powerful. So can somebody help me?

I have a ati x800xl as of now. For my next system I think its time to try out Nvidia. I really like the AMD cpu's and it kind of sucks that amd and ati are teaming up. But that cant stop me from using AMD and NVIDA. So id like parts as cheap as possible but ready for future gaming. If I need to ill use parts from my current computer to put into my "Box Pc".

Things im aiming for (I need cheap as possible)
CASE- One of those fancy box cases that can hold alot.
PSU- Cheapest one that can power the things id like
cpu- amd
ram- 1 gig
video card- Nvida 7800 or something along the line
MOBO- A good one with maybe dual pcie slots, one that can pack a punch


See what you guys can cook for me :D Thanks!
 
let's see...

case: micro fly or sg01-evolution (if you get the sg01, make sure you get the silverstone nt06 heatsink, it's THE best heatsink for the sg01 while being used passively to boot!)
psu: enermax liberty 500w
cpu: x2 3800+ am2
ram - some ddr2
video card - 7900gt
mobo - dont know, i havent looked into am2 mobos yet.

i'm sure someone else will drop by and give more detailed answers. the case is really based on preference, the sg01 costs more but imo looks better and is smaller.
 
L1ght said:


One BIG problem I forgot to mention. I cant order from newegg. They slam me with taxes and shipping. I will look at all those nice toys and try to find them elsewhere. I like monarchcomputer zipzoomfly and pricegrabber
 
Uhh... Your gonna need a AM2 cpu and a AM2 mobo. All AM2 mobo's use DDR2. So if you wanna use your current DDR ram, if you have any, your gonna want a socket 939 cpu and 939 mobo to use with it.
 
Hupo said:
These were things I was looking at. better than the 3800 :D

Loal.. that 939 socket 4200+ is not better than the am2 3800 by a long shot. You obviously haven't done enough research.

Google around about how am2 socket is far superior to deh 939 socket. Even if it is 3800+ vs 4200+

--

Now I see you've mixed a socket 939 motherboard with a am2 processor... hahaha.. :p

Dude, im in your exact same position. I have a 3.6ghz p4 +ht, 1gig of ram @ 3200 x800 pro pcie... I was looking to get a brand new computer. But I have been told by many people. WAIT! Just wait until dx10 rolls around. You wont regret it. Im saving up to get a sick rig once dx10 comes out so i can play the games and not be stuck with old technology (x1950's 7900's - yes they will be OLD technology in no time)

Hold your breath. Because once dx10 comes out you will be thankful you waited no matter how hard it is to resist.
 
L1ght said:
Uhh... Your gonna need a AM2 cpu and a AM2 mobo. All AM2 mobo's use DDR2. So if you wanna use your current DDR ram, if you have any, your gonna want a socket 939 cpu and 939 mobo to use with it.

DDR2 cant be that expensive. And I know about the AM2 board now, socket 940. I may consider these 2:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138027&ATT=13-138-027&CMP=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r
http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A1906812&cmp=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r

I dont know how good that motherboard is. But yeah.
 
rfairweather said:
Loal.. that 939 socket 4200+ is not better than the am2 3800 by a long shot. You obviously haven't done enough research.

Google around about how am2 socket is far superior to deh 939 socket. Even if it is 3800+ vs 4200+

--

Now I see you've mixed a socket 939 motherboard with a am2 processor... hahaha.. :p

Dude, im in your exact same position. I have a 3.6ghz p4 +ht, 1gig of ram @ 3200 x800 pro pcie... I was looking to get a brand new computer. But I have been told by many people. WAIT! Just wait until dx10 rolls around. You wont regret it. Im saving up to get a sick rig once dx10 comes out so i can play the games and not be stuck with old technology (x1950's 7900's - yes they will be OLD technology in no time)

Hold your breath. Because once dx10 comes out you will be thankful you waited no matter how hard it is to resist.




AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual Core Socket AM2 Processor 2.2GHz 1MB Retail
^^ Same price as Socket 939.^^

And when DX10 comes out, it will still work with current video cards. Im not paying 100 million dollars for a card with DX10 technology.
 
Back
Top