Help me build a Green PC

pok

n00b
I'm looking to build a SFF or mATX comp, that will be on 24/7. I want to lowest power consumption chip, should I go with the 35W Athlons or the Intel Celerons? Anyone know which uses less power? Also, anyone know of any SFF or mATX mobos that let you do some undervolting/underclocking in the bios?

I took a look at Celeron chips, and the lowest "thermal guideline" I could find for one was 52.8 watts, and they also run at 1.525V, when the XP-Ms are 35/45W and 1.35/1.45V. Looks like the XP-Ms would be more suited to your "green machine".

As for SFFs and undervolting, I'm sure that most would allow you to do that. According to a [H] article on the Shuttle SN45G, it looks like it can go down to 1.1V.

my shuttle can undervolt...

get an sn14 or sn45 and a 35 watt mobile barton... then undervolt the chip and you will be good to go...

Yea, a SN41G2V2 wouldn't be a bad way to go because the integrated video would bring down the power requirement versus external video. The V2 has the same BIOS options as the SN45 does.

I've got my P4 2.0 running at 1.25 volts on my shuttle. Undervolding could be an option

Back