• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me build a custom semi-passive phase change setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jctusmc03

Gawd
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
887
First off, prepare yourselves, I'm completely new to phase change setups. Due to this I decided I better look for some input and advice from those that have already tried this, made mistakes, broken stuff, and figured out better ideas so that hopefully I don't make the same mistakes. I also want you to tell you if my plans are stupid, if I'm dreaming, and if I'm being a nub. I can take it I assure you, saving money and doing a better job are more important to me.

My current project is to do a custom mostly passive phase change system that will be able to cool my CPU and my 7970('s x2 soon) without breaking the bank. I also want it to be as upkeep free as possible, while not taking up tons of space. Whatever I rig up I want fresh coolant going to each separate piece of hardware individually then back to the cooler so as to keep an even, cold, temperature in all devices and throughout the loop for better component performance.

So, I already know whatever I end up doing I'm going to be doing some customization on the actual cooling components to allow fresh coolant to go to three different components from the start, then recombining them again so those are all known and expected.

---
I'm going to use this main post as my "log" to keep all of my needs, and progress in as this project goes on.
---

I know a basic list of items I'm going to need is: Vacuum pump, pressure/temp gauge, tubings and fittings, radiator, water blocks, and some type of non-freeze coolant. I have no idea where to start with these though, what components have good ratings and what doesn't, or how to set up the loop for best performance. I'm hoping this is where you all can provide me with some recommendations as to affordable well performing equipment, filling in any blanks I've missed in my plan, and instructions for how to set one of these systems up and optimize it as I'm doing it.

I'd also appreciate links to any parts you recommend, and if possible any trusted guides you all know of so I can study before I start buying all of my parts and start attempting to do this over the next month or two.

Your assistance please? I appreciate it! :D
 
Last edited:
Sounds like your best bet is going to be multi loop cascade style circulation chiller. Basically tear down an old a/c window unit put the cold side inside of a really big ice chest. And the hot side out... Run your loops into the chest, the hard part is keeping the window unit from freezing up. Use aquarium power heads to keep the water moving.

Now the down side to any evap style cooler. It will hit below ambient. And that means condensation... You will have to water proof all sorts of stuff, and that is where you should start..
 
Sounds like your best bet is going to be multi loop cascade style circulation chiller. Basically tear down an old a/c window unit put the cold side inside of a really big ice chest. And the hot side out... Run your loops into the chest, the hard part is keeping the window unit from freezing up. Use aquarium power heads to keep the water moving.

Now the down side to any evap style cooler. It will hit below ambient. And that means condensation... You will have to water proof all sorts of stuff, and that is where you should start..

They don't make anything besides an old AC to use for this? I'm willing to spend a little extra money for something that looks nice, lol.

Yeah, I saw that condensation is a problem with these during some of my research. I'm hoping you all can give me some info on what all I'm going to need to water proof and how I should go about that. Would mounting my motherboard so that its facing toward the ground help to assure no condensation drips onto the MOBO and components? I'm already planning to wrap all of the lines and insulate them as best as possible. I'll also be needing to insulate the blocks as well somehow.
 
They don't make anything besides an old AC to use for this? I'm willing to spend a little extra money for something that looks nice, lol.

Yeah, I saw that condensation is a problem with these during some of my research. I'm hoping you all can give me some info on what all I'm going to need to water proof and how I should go about that. Would mounting my motherboard so that its facing toward the ground help to assure no condensation drips onto the MOBO and components? I'm already planning to wrap all of the lines and insulate them as best as possible. I'll also be needing to insulate the blocks as well somehow.

They do, but they are 1200$, direct die phase change units... they make duel units, for 2 cpus, but none for vid cards, as the head at the top of the unit is usually rather tall (by head, i mean the cooling block)

The reason I suggest a old ac unit and a ice chest is because you can hide the whole damn thing in the garage if you want, the way you are wanting to do this, you are already in for 3 loops ( 3 water blocks. 3 pumps) you can manifold this out near the pc , have one large pipe bring water in, and one large pipe take water away. And because you are wanting to chill the vid cards as well, it pretty much means that you have to chill water. Even if you bought the direct die unit, there is no way to convert it to do what you want it to do.

Your looking at 300$ for water blocks, about 80$ in pipe +tools , 150 for a new window unit (much much less if you can get a working one used) and about 50$ for a ice chest.. then you need closed cell foam and other water proofing goodies, I would guess that should land you in the 620 to 650$ range ( i forgot W/C tubing, so a solid 650 maybe a tad more)

I know there is a guy here that has done this, I think he ran it out to his shed, the difference was, he was single looped and used 1 big (noisy) water pump to get it done.

But far and above any thing you are going to do, even if it is that 1200$ unit, you will still have to deal with condensation. And the direct die phase change units, are by no means quiet. That said, you need spray adhesive, as mentioned closed cell (neoprene) foam of several sizes dielectric grease (you use this to form a seal between the cpu and the cpu socket , you also must flood the cpu socket with this grease so that water cannot find a place to hide.)

You then use the foam to cover every part of your mother board around your socket to within 3", your vid cards as well.. heat, or rather cold radiates. Because you are cooling these pieces, parts around them will be chilled as well, and the 3" thing really is a guess.. it might be more depending on how cold it is, and how much humidity is in the air. oh yeah, this includes the back side of the mother board, and vid cards. all foam must over lap, the bad side to this is you have to make sure you are not blocking any thing that needs airflow, vrms and their heatsinks will need to have neoprene right up to the edges, and then dielectric any gaps.

Next, any part of the water blocks must be covered in foam, again all foam must over lap, then you have to insulate the cooling and return lines. if air can get to them, they will condensate. And this means anywhere along the run as chances are, your return water will still be colder than ambient.

sounds like fun right?
 
Screw this then, I had no idea it was THAT much work. That would make it not worth it, to me at least. I need to find a way to refrigerate a water/alcohol loop now, hmmm. Lol
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top