• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me build a cheap FreeNAS server

unrlmth

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 1, 2010
Messages
254
I am planning on setting something up with ZFS and 4-6 750GB drives. I would also like the hardware be as efficient as possible.

After a considerable amount of searching it seems like my best option is to use an AMD setup since they offer ECC support in the lower end model. But, I have also seen that the i3-2100 will work with ECC, is that true?

Right now I am thinking something like a AMD Athlon II X2 260 and 8GB of RAM. I am still very unsure about what motherboard since it needs to have support for ECC.

Does this all look okay? Right now I am testing it with an e8400, an X48 motherboard and 4GB RAM, and the performance is fine. (transferred 900GB at 90-95 MB/s)

Any tips or things I should consider?
 
Well using 750GB drives doesn't seem very efficient, unless they're 2,5" drives ?
 
Does ECC really matter that much? My desktop is up for weeks at a time without issue. Just have the thing reboot itself at 5 AM once a month and call it a day. I simply don't understand the focus I've seen on this lately. So long as it's not costing you anything obviously it's best to go with ECC, but if budgetary concerns / efficiency / etc limit you to non-ECC compatible solutions I don't see the issue.
 
Does ECC really matter that much? My desktop is up for weeks at a time without issue. Just have the thing reboot itself at 5 AM once a month and call it a day. I simply don't understand the focus I've seen on this lately. So long as it's not costing you anything obviously it's best to go with ECC, but if budgetary concerns / efficiency / etc limit you to non-ECC compatible solutions I don't see the issue.

Well, the discussion has been held a lot here. But unlike a typical desktop, ZFS is going to cache a bunch of data into the RAM where's it going to sit around for awhile, so that's the part that concerns me. If it gets corrupted there, it could eventually make it to the disk.
 
Well using 750GB drives doesn't seem very efficient, unless they're 2,5" drives ?

Yea I know, but I already have 4 of them so until I need more space (or HD prices drop) it's not really worth it for me to upgrade. Definitely on my mind though.

Does ECC really matter that much? My desktop is up for weeks at a time without issue. Just have the thing reboot itself at 5 AM once a month and call it a day. I simply don't understand the focus I've seen on this lately. So long as it's not costing you anything obviously it's best to go with ECC, but if budgetary concerns / efficiency / etc limit you to non-ECC compatible solutions I don't see the issue.

From my calculations I will essentially be paying a $20 premium (and maybe a little more for the motherboard as well) over non-ECC ram with the AMD build. For me that's completely worth it.
 
Step 1: Watch for sale o HP Microserver
Step 2: ...
Step 3: Profit

HP Microserver will do 5 full size drives with ZERO issue.
 
Back
Top