• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HELP! Lost packaging to CPU.

martinmsj

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 3, 2005
Messages
1,581
I am to ship a Pentium D 820 tomorrow and lost the plastic casing the CPU and fan came in. (Took them out to test and take a picture and left the plastic casing out.)

What are some alternative methods to packing this CPU?


Don't have a new Intel CPU yet to take it from until Thursday or Friday. Have a friend calling me tomorrow morning seeing if he can snatch one at his job.

Need a back up plan.


Thanks in advance!
 
1. Wrap it up in a anti-static bag
2. Put/Wrap foam around it
3. Put in very small box.
4. Put in box with something to prevent from shaking around
5. Profit?

Worked for the optys and s939 4200 I shipped.
 
I usually place the pins down into a little piece of foam, then wrap in anti static bag and tape it shut, then wrap in bubble wrap in small box, then place in a slightly larger box with padding.
 
Yea however I am worried because there is more too it. It's not only the outer plaster shell but there is a small plastic flat piece that goes on the bottom of the cpu.

Right now I'm thinking Anti-static material wrap and something to hold the stock fan in place.


I usually place the pins down into a little piece of foam, then wrap in anti static bag and tape it shut, then wrap in bubble wrap in small box, then place in a slightly larger box with padding.

Foam, good idea! I got some foam I think.
 
I would be a little cautious about foam because its very good at generating static electricity.
 
I cut two strips of anti static plastic backs from a mobo anti static back.

Wraped one then the other.

My main concern is the bottom of the CPU. I included a picture of a the piece I'm missing (taken from another CPU I'm shipping.)

Since that plastic black piece touches part of the cpu the anti static material touching the bottom should be ok. (The black piece touchs the bottome when inserted in the groove provided by the plastic shell.)

Step 1
001rq9.jpg


Step 2
002yk6.jpg


Step 3
003an1.jpg


Step 4
004as0.jpg


Piece I'm missing.
005xw3.jpg
 
It really should be fine like that. I would add some foam to the outside of that so it can't move around at all though.
 
Back
Top