Help!!! Lost key and can't get in case!

juniormlc

Limp Gawd
I built a computer for my fiance's parents and they lost the key I gave them. :rolleyes:

It was a clone of this Antec case: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-125&depa=1
I believe it was a Chieftec. I've been to every local computer shop and hardware store with no luck. Does anyone here have an extra or know where I can get one?

By the way, its just a generic barrel key.

<UPDATE> EPS Sniper was kind enough to send me a key, and thanks to the USPS here is what I received:
Envelope.jpg

Bastards! I think next time we go to her parent's house I'm throwing it out the window. That should get it open! :mad:

Locks on computer cases are usually pretty simple. You could try picking it, or you could try using some BFI (brute force & ignorance). At the shop I work at, our supplier started shipping computers with locking front panels (you don't need to unlock it for anything except for removing the front). When customers would bring their computers back in, we had to use the BFI method. Pull on the front panel until you can feel the lock starting to give, and then give it a quick jerk. After the front panel is off, remove the bar that actually secures the front panel to the rest of the case. Done and done :).

if you cannot get it off, i got some keys here i might be able to dig up and send your way...lmk if u cannot get it off :)

usually the company uses the same key for one type of case. go pick up another case take the keys go make A LOT of copies then put the keys backin and return it.

Simple - tell them you'll either have to break the case or they can pay $50 to get another key. If they choose the other key, just add $25 to it, get yourself another case and give them one of the keys. Everybody's happy.

otoh, why do you need to open it? unless it's getting upgraded, there should be no reason to open. just google for "beginner's guide pick lock" and the first result should be gregmiller.net something. (rogue_jedi suggests this might be construed as illegal so i shouldn't post the url, for future reference, is posting a url like this a bad idea?) good luck with the lock.

aren't those barrel locks ?? you can't pick a barrel lock very easily... call up cheiftec and antec and see what they say... and then once you get it unlocked, don't relock it...

I have a chieftec case myself. They're not that hard to pick at all. With a paperclip and a little patience, you should be able to get it.

unhappy_mage said:
otoh, why do you need to open it?
Their CPU is overheating, and I can tell from looking through the back fan opening that the case is full of dust.
aren't those barrel locks ?? you can't pick a barrel lock very easily...
Yes it is a barrel lock.
and then once you get it unlocked, don't relock it...
I'm almost positive I had to lock it before the key could be removed.
You can't get to the power buttons/cd drive/floopy drive unless you unlock the front covere
The front cover of this case doesn't have a door. I'm trying to get the side panel off.

I've got tons of these keys. Just PM me with your addy and I can send you one if you like.

as i said before buy another case... take the keys open their case. get copies made. return the keys and case......for those of you newbies you can copy those kind of keys.

My keys for my antec case (1080amg) work on retardedchicken's chieftech ripoff, one of my buddies alien x dreamers, and my thermaltake :D

You should be able to pick it with a screwdriver or something, or fashion a key. mine just has a straight hollow bore with one tooth on the end to turn the lock, not too complicated.

well if you don't care about the case all that much just rip it, i did this recently to get my 9800 out of my case. Left the key in nj and live in ri so i just maled the side of the case, but a little ducttape later it turned to be a nuyce mod :D

lol ive heard being locked out of a car, but locked out of a computer case :p :p :p

DR_K13 said:
use a M-80 mod kit :p

lol

as i keep saying buy another case (the same) and take the keys...open your case.... make copies....return the keys and case.... give and excuse if they ask y your returning it and tell them it didnt fit my motherboard. if they ask what motherboard tell them your not sure your dad is the computer guy (or your mom or brother or sister)

Steps to opening Antec's or anything that is a clone of it:
1. Go to Wendy's and buy one large drink.
2. Obtain one small flat head screw driver.
3. Put the straw in the barrel end of the lock and place pressure against it.
4. Take the screw driver and push it into notched section.
5. Turn the screw driver to unlock the door.

Hopefully that helped.

skip the buying and returning.
Look in your town for a small computer shop that does repairs and/or custom builds.
More than likely they will have some spare keys you can have/borrow/buy. They are
fairly simple, and not really "secure" locks.

The easiest way would be to fashion a pick from a paperclip and using a needle nose pliers to get the minor bends in it necessary.

Heck, the bestbuy where I used to work did repairs right there, and had tons of spare parts. If you talk to a tech you can probably just get one from him.

good luck
-Jeff

you cannot pick this type of lock. you can but very hard and very expensive

DRJ1014 said:
as i said before buy another case... take the keys open their case. get copies made. return the keys and case......for those of you newbies you can copy those kind of keys.

The key is nothing fancy. It is a barrel with a notch. If two people are willing to send him one, why should he go through the hassle of buying the same case, copying a very basic and widely used key, and return the case?

faster... dont have to wait til the key gets there. what if they dont follow though? many problems.... they may send the key and arive in 3 weeks or he could go down and buy a case in one day... open the case in the same day... keep 1 key or make a copy in the same day.... return it the next day. thats 2 days.

So, have you gotten it open yet? Sounds like at least some of these methods would work.

once you get it open drill that fucker out. completly unnecessary, if someones going to steal your shit its not nearly enough to stop them, all it does is screw up end users

kronchev said:
once you get it open drill that fucker out. completly unnecessary, if someones going to steal your shit its not nearly enough to stop them, all it does is screw up end users

Although annoying, I will use it when I go to LAN's, just to maybe give someone one more reason not to steal my stuff.

they are wonderful for lans so people dont steel your stuff.... but not a lan computer then it shouldnt be locked. if somone wants to get into you system in your house there not going to open the side and take the stuff theere going to take the whole system.

drill it out like its a rivet

is there a fan grill of some sort on the back?... maybe one that you can remove to expose a 80mm hole where you can put your hand thru to do the upgrades/clean dust, or EVEN open the case!!! :D

if i were you, id drill it out and then fill the spot with bondo and some tape on the back and repaint it... or install another fake key hole which old computers have for power

S0mE0nEsMiNd1 said:
the retard isnt listening or trying anything. The wendys cup sounded like a good idea, but hes not even trying.
This retard is waiting on the key EPS Sniper is sending. ;)
I will try the Wendy's straw trick just for you in the meantime. :D

Just a thought - I had the Chieftec version, which had clip-in drive rails. Can you take the front drives out that way? If you can, then just pull them out, reach in and bend the lock to the point where you can open the panel.

Back